Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been awhile, been two years since i had any trouble, now i have no.1 dead. Pulling injector plug off or on has no effect. Every once in a while this car would have a miss at startup when hot, shut off, restart, would be fine. Im thinking injector, any ideas, have one for sale? 91 leg. 2.2 auto Thanks. ed

Sorry I don't know the specification even for my own engine but if there's a short or an open, you'll see right away. If in doubt, maybe you can compare the reading with those for other injectors. Meanwhile, I'll see if FSM has that figure.

Add: it gives a range of 5 to 20 Ohm.

[...]i have no.1 dead. Pulling injector plug off or on has no effect. Every once in a while this car would have a miss at startup when hot, shut off, restart, would be fine. Im thinking injector, any ideas, [...]
Before assuming the injector itself is at fault, see the last section of http://endwrench.com/current/spring04pdfs/InsiderInfo.pdf

(page 30, entitled "Legacy and Impreza Engines with No Injection Pulse #1 Cylinder").

You might try a "noid light" to help determine if the injector is getting a switching pulse from the ECU when the problem occurs. It's a "go"/"no-go" test, and can't really tell you pulse width, but that may be all you need in order to determine where to start looking.

You might try a "noid light" to help determine if the injector is getting a switching pulse from the ECU when the problem occurs. It's a "go"/"no-go" test, and can't really tell you pulse width, but that may be all you need in order to determine where to start looking.
You jumped over my head a little with the noid light, is this something to go buy, something i can make? If so what type of bulb? Will an ohm meter work? Thanks. ed

Tell us what you measured, and how.

If the ECU isn't switching #1, you won't be able to measure any voltage between the two pins of the connector. Even so, you should see a steady voltage (13-14 volts with the engine running) from one of the two connector pins to a good ground point (block or chassis). Is that the case?

I went across the leads with an ohm meter, engine off, switch off, no reading what so ever. ed
If you're saying that you measured resistance across the connector with it disconnected from the injector, that won't tell you much. Could you compare that with the reading at a working injector (#2, for example)?

What resistance does the injector itself measure? (Comparing resistance of injectors #1 with #2 might also be useful.)

Heres whats happening, at idle no 1 is dead, slowly increase rpms, at about 1700rpms engine smooths out jumps to about 2100 rpms , unhook no.1 injector and engine will not smooth out at any safe rpm. If you unplug iac, idle go's up to 1000rpms, wont stall but idles fast, pluged in idle is normal. HELP. Thanks. ed