Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Code 24, 34

I am having an intermittent CEL, and the ECU is flashing codes 24 (Air Control Valve or Circuit) and 34 (EGR Solenoid or Circuit). I also got 11 (Crank Angle Sensor or Circuit) and 14 (Fuel Injector - Abnormal Output) out of the stored codes.

The car seems to be running fine, just need to give it a little gas in the morning, but I just wanted to ask how worried I should be about these codes. I am getting ready to drive from Oregon to Alaska, and do not want to run into trouble.

Any help would be great.

(Also, anyone know where I can find an in stock bolt on muffler for an '89 GL 4wd Wagon somewhere between Albany, OR and Seattle?)

I wouldn't be the slightest worried about the 24 and 34. Neither will cause you any real difficulty other than the 24 causing possible erroneous idle speeds when cold.

The other two however are quite disturbing. 11 means there is a possibility of the distributor crank angle sensor being intermittant. That might get worse - at any rate there's no chance it will get better. That could indicate distributor shaft bearing failure, or electrical. Either way I would take an extra known good distributor and your timing light with you for your trip.

14 isn't so hot either - this MPFI or SPFI? Either way I would bring along an extra set of MPFI injectors, or an SPFI injector for the road. They aren't hard to swap out.

Along with those parts I would take at least another ignition coil and ignitor, a MAF sensor, and a TPS just in case. The MAF, CAS and TPS are the three really critical sensors on the EA82's. It will run without the rest.

Don't leave without a set of timing belts, accesory belts, plenty of water, a gallon of coolant, oil, and other fluids. And of course your tools.

GD

Check your connectors too, I had a code for injector #2 on my Legacy and it ended up being a loose injector connector. Keep in mind that the code indicates a problem with the affected CIRCUIT not necessarily the sensor or actuator itself. Make sure all your connectors are tight and clean, a pipe cleaner works good for corroded connections. Might want to put some dielectric grease in there after you clean it...

My Legacy has a bad ACV, and it doesn't affect performance at all, except it doesn't raise the RPM when it's cold, it idles a little above 1100, and it doesn't raise the idle when the air conditioner is on, which gets annoying but nothing to really worry about, especially since the ACV for the legacy is $300 from the dealer...