Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a set of 2.2 heads from a 95 impreza and a set of heads from a 2.2 from a 90 legacy.

I am looking to have a set redone and put on my 2.2/2.5 motor that I am putting together. and looking to see if one set would be better then the other.

i know the 95s have roller rockers but not sure about the 90s, (haven't pulled them yet). other then one have roller rockers and one not are there any other differences between them.

also i have read about people doing a delta grind on their 2.2 cams. Do you think it would be worth it or not?

90 heads - dual port exhaust

95 heads - single port

not sure which flow best. Roller rockers are a definite benefit. I would take the 95 valve train and put it in the 90 heads, and do a delta grind.

Actually it's exactly what I was going to do until I realized that if I'm going to go through all the work to do a swap it had might as well be a 5-speed turbo.

the 95 heads are a dual port too, it was like 96 or 97 when they went to a single port.

and turbos are fun but in rally you have to run a restrictor plate with them so NA is the plan for me.

i will probably just go with the heads from the 95 and check into a delta grind for it. just got to block the egr on it because my 90 doesn't have one.

90 heads - dual port exhaust

95 heads - single port

not sure which flow best. Roller rockers are a definite benefit. I would take the 95 valve train and put it in the 90 heads, and do a delta grind.

Actually it's exactly what I was going to do until I realized that if I'm going to go through all the work to do a swap it had might as well be a 5-speed turbo.

oh, well then, I'd still probably take the 90 heads with the 95 valve train just so you don't have the egr dealie to block off and keep the roller rockers. Also yes send the cams to delta. They have a few standard subaru grinds, and would probably be able to tell you what would be best for the block and heads and compression and usage of the car.

oh, well then, I'd still probably take the 90 heads with the 95 valve train just so you don't have the egr dealie to block off and keep the roller rockers. Also yes send the cams to delta. They have a few standard subaru grinds, and would probably be able to tell you what would be best for the block and heads and compression and usage of the car.

just got to pull the 90 motor now, well that might be in the next week or two. i want to send them out to redone.

Just block off the EGR and use the 95 heads.

but it's a screw in type in the back of the head. i guess i could just weld something onto the bolt thing and block it off. i will figure that out soon enough.

first things first, pull other motor and strip it down and get one of them ready to go out to the machine shop.

i wouldn't weld it, just thread a screw in there with some sealant on the threads, though that probably isn't needed anyway. the EGR fitting doesn't have any sealant.

it's not like a normal screw, it's like a nut with threads on the outside of half of it and there is the pipe running through the hole.

i will worry about that part when i come to it.

i just got off the phone with delta, they have two grinds for the subarus, i am going to go with the 2000 grind, he says it gives the torque up between 1500 to 5500 rpm.

a much better rpm area for racing around, i mean really who even uses under 1500 rpm, ok maybe truckers, but not normal cars.