Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bits of metal in the oil....

Well I did an oil change today, only 3 quarts drained out, I suppose the rest leaked out of the front or rear main seals, and burnt on the exhaust as usual. But I was greeted by alot of what looked like yellow teflon shavings, and a few ant sized chunks of metal and a couple little spirals of metal shaving.......

The damm car still runs strong though....?

Where would I go about finding a good EJ22 for my ol' brighton? Ebay and the local junksyards are already being checked, but maybe a JDM import or some super secret stash is around that someone could point me to?

I really appreciate any help, I love my lil subie and don't want it to die.

Thanks guys,

Ian

having 3 quarts in it is not enough to cause "metal chunks and flakes". was it run lower than this in the past? even on 5 quart cars this is true, i think some EJ's are only 4 or 4.2 or something like that. 3 quarts is less than ideal but nowhere near low enough to cause engine problems.

are you sure the metal flakes were in there, how did you see them or strain them?

EJ engines are not hard to find. i picked one up at a yard last week for $150. 6 month warranty, 101,000 miles on it. start calling around and see what prices you can find. they can vary WILDLY to say the least, so keep searching. i'd avoid the JDM stuff myself, not necessary as good and inexpensive EJ22's are easy to find.

Well I did an oil change today, only 3 quarts drained out, I suppose the rest leaked out of the front or rear main seals, and burnt on the exhaust as usual. But I was greeted by alot of what looked like yellow teflon shavings, and a few ant sized chunks of metal and a couple little spirals of metal shaving.......

The damm car still runs strong though....?

Where would I go about finding a good EJ22 for my ol' brighton? Ebay and the local junksyards are already being checked, but maybe a JDM import or some super secret stash is around that someone could point me to?

I really appreciate any help, I love my lil subie and don't want it to die.

Thanks guys,

Ian

Does your car have an oil dipstick?