Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Impreza - does it have an ATF temp light?

I vaguely recall someone saying that Subaru put in ATF indicator lights starting a certain year, but I'm not 100% sure. My '93 doesn't appear to have one (or it's burnt out :dead:), but I wanted to check with the experts first. Thanks!

I am not sure about the Impreza's but my 92 and 93 Legacys both have it and mention it on the driver side sun visor... I would look up there and see if it has the notice. I think it might have only been installed on AWD vehicles as well

I vaguely recall someone saying that Subaru put in ATF indicator lights starting a certain year, but I'm not 100% sure. My '93 doesn't appear to have one (or it's burnt out :dead:), but I wanted to check with the experts first. Thanks!

I was thinking the same with my FWD '91 legacy. The 4EAT works fine (after rebuild) but the light doesnt come on at start sequence.

I did some searching. FWD automatics do not have the light (also in dutch manual) AWD automatics have.

So FWD no light (i checked mine and actually there was not even a bulb present)

Here's a few excerpts from the http://www.endwrench.com 4EAT phase I article:

The light controls indicate operating conditions to the driver. They indicate the POWER mode, manually selected 1st or 2nd gear, or hot ATF (AWD only).

On 1990 and later Legacy models, the light controls indicate hot ATF (FWD and AWD), gears 3 -2 - 1, MANUAL mode and POWER mode.

ATF temperature warning light was used on AWD vehicles only indicates overheating ATF. See description of TCU inputs for control unit logic in response of hot ATF. The Power indicator was a frame that illuminates around

the word POWER on the combination meter. Activation logic of the power mode is the same as later models.

ATF temperature warning light is provided on both FWD and AWD vehicles. It is activated by the TCU indicating overheated ATF.The TCU logic will shift the transaxle as if in the power mode, moving more ATF volume through the cooler.

The indicator light was discontinued in the 1993 model year, but the logic for controlling hot ATF remained. Starting in the 1995 model year, the HOT ATF indicator light was reintroduced. It performs the same as in the past, with an added function.When the vehicle is started, it is lit momentarily. If it is flashing when the vehicle is started, this indicates the TCU has detected an electrical failure. When the TCU is programmed to do so, it will flash a trouble code to assist in diagnostics.

Here's a few excerpts from the http://www.endwrench.com 4EAT phase I article:

The light controls indicate operating conditions to the driver. They indicate the POWER mode, manually selected 1st or 2nd gear, or hot ATF (AWD only).

On 1990 and later Legacy models, the light controls indicate hot ATF (FWD and AWD), gears 3 -2 - 1, MANUAL mode and POWER mode.

ATF temperature warning light was used on AWD vehicles only indicates overheating ATF. See description of TCU inputs for control unit logic in response of hot ATF. The Power indicator was a frame that illuminates around

the word POWER on the combination meter. Activation logic of the power mode is the same as later models.

ATF temperature warning light is provided on both FWD and AWD vehicles. It is activated by the TCU indicating overheated ATF.The TCU logic will shift the transaxle as if in the power mode, moving more ATF volume through the cooler.

The indicator light was discontinued in the 1993 model year, but the logic for controlling hot ATF remained. Starting in the 1995 model year, the HOT ATF indicator light was reintroduced. It performs the same as in the past, with an added function.When the vehicle is started, it is lit momentarily. If it is flashing when the vehicle is started, this indicates the TCU has detected an electrical failure. When the TCU is programmed to do so, it will flash a trouble code to assist in diagnostics.

Ah ha! That's where I read it.

Bummer, though. I was hoping to try the "secret handshake," but I don't think it'll work... now to tear apart my car to find the ECU and mess around with the multimeter to figure out WHAT'S causing my [extremely slow] torque lockup to not kick in... :-\