Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mysterious Idle Problem - Help Please

Hi All,

Well I'm still in the process of getting my '79 brat legal. I just finished installing an ignition system upgrade, then I began to tune the carb to get it within the idle speed limit and that's when this problem began.

You know how when you first start your old soob up, she revvs pretty high for a while. Then, you tap the gas pedal, and the the revvs fall down to that nice low idle? Mine's not doing that anymore.

I start it up, she revvs high and keeps revving high after its warm and I tap the accelerator pedal. I've backed the idle speed screw all the way out - no change. But here's the kicker. When I'm at a stop sign, if I keep my foot on the brake and let the clutch out to just where it begins to catch, simulating the car under heavy load, the idle speed will fall down to where it should be (900), and then stay there when I push the clutch in. As soon as I give it some gas however, the idle speed will go too high again (~2000 or so).

I've think I've got it timed right, so I don't think thats the problem. And then when I take her for a drive she runs really nice, all except for that idle problem. And of course if my idle speed is too high, I'll never pass smog.

Is there some kind of gizmo that causes the car to idle after you tap the accelerator pedal? If so, I think this may be malfunctioning.

All ideas and help are very appreciated. Thank you,

Crabman

For informational purpose, I wanted to update this thread with what I found.

Believe it or not, it took the smallest counterclockwise turn of the adjusting screw in the vacuum control valve to get her to return to idle properly. Now she is very well tuned, and returns to idle perfectly.

The biggest clue was that during the high idle a non-stop hissing sound was coming from the carb. And I remembered reading about this hissing sound in the Idiots Guide, which pointed me to the vacuum control valve (a.k.a. decel valve).

Now I am going to speculate here, so someone out there stop me if I am way off base. But you know this idle problem didn't happen until I upgraded the ignition system with an MSD 6A, Accel Super Coil, new 8 mm wires and plugs. Basically replacing the whole ignition system. Is it reasonable for me to postulate that the engine is running so much more efficiently now that it actually creates a stronger vacuum which resulted in the need to adjust the vacuum control valve?

Damn, I'm glad I fixed this. I didn't know what was going on, I was considering rebuilding the car, or putting the old ignition system back on.

Crabman

• 2 years later...
am looking into upgrade ignition of my 81 brat with 1800 motor. would i do same type of changes, msd box and 8.5 mm wires and coil? anyone with experience on this application with these upgrades and how it worked? thanks.

Biggest waste of money I can think of.It is not an "upgrade".

Has nothing to do with subaru BUT! A few years ago i once owned a 3000gt vr6 and it had a idle that would die if the clutch gently touched - longstory short it was my IDLE AIR COOL MOTOR not sure if its the same problem here but just a random thought... Hope you can get it resolved