Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blown head gasket(s) Updated w/ Road Test

Well, the heads are warped. .003 at the middle. Now I've got to find a machine shop with good prices and quick turnaround time. Thanks for all your help everyone. This little $200 car is getting plenty of love. It's lucky I see the potential!

Excellent! I found a local shop that will do them for $60 and have them to me this afternoon! The place is called Ridge Reamer, they actually do all of the machining for CCR. I talked with Pete, he seems like a great guy and I've heard nothing but good things about the shop. Once I get them back, it's time for the big re-install.

Josh

Excellent! I found a local shop that will do them for $60 and have them to me this afternoon! The place is called Ridge Reamer, they actually do all of the machining for CCR. I talked with Pete, he seems like a great guy and I've heard nothing but good things about the shop. Once I get them back, it's time for the big re-install.

Josh

Good Show! There should be detailed info on how to swap an EA82 five speed into the car in the USRM.. its probably for a 4wd tranny, and I can't recall if you are 4wd or FWD right now, but if you are FWD its just a little simpler.

What I am saying is, despite the fact that I know nothing firsthand about the swap, I have gathered two things:

1. its best to go for the EA82 fivespeed and

2. its about as straightforward as it gets, the trickiest part is making sure you have the right flywheel/clutch combo.

I am vaguely planning on losing the 3AT in my 87 sometime soon. for a while my User Title was "3ATs happen..." :grin:

1. its best to go for the EA82 fivespeed and

2. its about as straightforward as it gets, the trickiest part is making sure you have the right flywheel/clutch combo.

Well - yes the 5's are better in a lot of ways....

But there is fabrication required to put the EA82 5 speed (4WD) into an EA81. The entire transmission crossmember is different as are the mounts. Cutting, and welding is needed, and some banging of the tunnel if you don't use Jerry's kit. The linkage needs some welding as well to make it totally stock looking.

If you are talking about just a 2WD 5 speed then get the tranmission from the newest Loyale you can find, and you'll need the cross-member and radius rod plates from an EA81 2WD 5 speed as well as the flywheel and clutch, pedal set, speedo cable, and perhaps a few other small items.

GD

Well the heads went in last night and I'm having trouble finding valve tappet clearance specs in the FSM. There's a section on hydraulic lifter adjustment but calls for a special tool and says nothing about the gap between the tappet and the valve. The heads were machined .01, so there's going to need to be some adjustment here or none of my valves will close. Any input would be great.

Josh

You don't need a special tool. Just a 12mm wrench, and a 6mm?. There is no clearance between the valve and rocker on hydro's. They are supposed to be in contact at all times. Follow the procedure.

I would be taking those things apart and installing new head gaskets though. Those aren't going to hold. These are graphite gaskets and with that layer of sealant they will never seal to the metal.

GD

You don't need a special tool. Just a 12mm wrench, and a 6mm?. There is no clearance between the valve and rocker on hydro's. They are supposed to be in contact at all times. Follow the procedure.

I would be taking those things apart and installing new head gaskets though. Those aren't going to hold. These are graphite gaskets and with that layer of sealant they will never seal to the metal.

GD

I don't have the time nor the money. I'm going to have to hope they seal. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is. I should have gone with my gut instinct. I never would have thought to use anything on them if the effing FSM didn't mention it.

83 and up automatics all have Hydro lifters.... that's how I knew :).

Hydro push rods are solid steel - solid lifter are aluminium with steel caps (with knurlings). So yes - you have hydro. The adjustment procedure involves letting them bleed down and then setting them a select number of turns past "zero point" where the rocker just comes in contact with the valve.

GD