Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time for new tires. Is OE size the only option?

I know soobs like everything to be OE, tires included, but since I'm getting new tires soon are there any other sizes that perform better than the stock tire size? Like if I put a wider tire on will it handle better?

I live in the PNW so it's rainy a lot and sometimes snowey in the winter. I don't have a set of winter rims so these tires will be all season.

Also, does anyone swear by having their tires siped? I've heard mixed results and the last car I had w/ siped tires I couldn't really tell a difference.

Yes, wider and/or grippier tires will absolutely make the car handle and stop better. A wider section doesn't flex as much which makes the car more responsive. There are generally very cheap sets of 16" wrx wheels and tires for sale in the local nasioc.com classifieds. Like $200 for a 205/55-16 on 16x6.5" wheels. RE92s are mediocre at best but I didn't ever have a problem with them on snow and they were a huge improvement over the generic 185/70-14 sears all seasons I had before.

There's definitely room to go a little bigger if you want. My tires are four sizes wider than OE.. I wouldn't even consider driving in snow with them, though.

Sipes are good for ice and very slippery conditions, but they can make the tire a little squirmy on pavement.

[...]I'm getting new tires soon are there any other sizes that perform better than the stock tire size? Like if I put a wider tire on will it handle better?

I live in the PNW so it's rainy a lot and sometimes snowey in the winter.

There's no absolute answer, due to the varying road conditions you experience, especially in winter. The depth of snow (and how often it occurs and how long it remains), road crown, wind gusts, etc., can all have an influence on whether a wider tire is a good idea. Narrow tires are better for "cutting" through deep snow; wide ones tend to "plow" through. However, narrow tires don't have as good lateral traction as wide ones, and especially on a highly crowned road under conditions of wind from the side and driving over packed snow or ice, they can make your car more prone to slipping sideways.

I don't have a set of winter rims so these tires will be all season.[...]
Based on having to use the same tires year-round, I'd suggest staying with the stock width, and getting the best-performing all-season tires you can find/afford. If you get a second set of rims, then of course you could consider buying "winter" tires; however, it may still be best to stick to the stock width for them if deep snow is a sometimes-occurrence.

Here in the PWN (I live in Seattle) all season should be fine, unless you head up to the passes regularly. If this is the case, and you don't want a dedicated set of tires/wheels with snow tires, check out the Nokain WR. It's an all season tire that is better in snow than many snow tires, but is fine for year round driving. Get them in a stock size, as going wide is not good in slush/snow conditions.

If you go with a dedicated tire for the winter, by all means feel free to go wider on your summer tires.

The Tire Factory has the WR all over the greater Seattle area.

Jack

Covington, WA