Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone rejet a Hitachi?

Hey everyone. Well you know the old addage if it ain't broke don't fix it? It applies here.

After installing a high performance ignition system (MSD-6A and Accel Super Coil), and a less restrictive exhaust on my '79 brat, she seems to be running lean, especially under load as evidenced by the pinging and detonation I experienced on the freeway this morning. It seems apparent to me that she is now starved for fuel, as I did not have this problem before the upgrades:-\ .

Unfortunately I live in California and I can't stick a weber on it. I am left with the option of rejetting the hitachi carb. Anyone do this before? Should I step up the primary and the secondary main jets, or just the primary? I can't find a whole lot of info on the net about hitachi jets. Does anyone know where I can buy them?

Also, my other option, I have a carb from a 1.8L soob. Mine's a 1.6L. Do you think swapping my stock carb for the 1.8L carb might fix the problem? All comments and advice welcome.

Thanks,

Crabman

we used to jet the Hitachi on the old Datsun 510. We used these on race cars. They took Weber DGV jets. But, I think you will only be able to change main jets.....

Something else, I am not familiar with the subaru Hitachi, but if the jets go in thru bolts from the bottom of the carb, and there is a separate float bowl, we opened up the holes from the float bowl to the main jets.

go for the weber anyways... it can be made to look stock if you cut the stock aircan and adapt it to the car... they typically run nicer then the old hitachi and get better economy IF they are tuned right.

you could pass smog with a weber...

and if it REALLY doesn't work for smog. then swap it back to the stock carb when you go in for smog...

id try the 1.8 carb, or the 1.8 jets in the 1.6 carb?

i was runing a lil lean (because of the same reasons as you) with my stock ea81 carb, and now with my ea82 carb on the ea81 motor, i think im just right, or a little on the rich side.

or zefy has a good option, you know you'll pass if its runing lean then swap a weber after you pass.

Thanks guys. Still running a bit lean. Think I am going to get her smogged with the EA71 hitachi, and then bolt on the EA81 carb. I'd love to try the weber out, but for now its a bit expensive and I have spent all my Brat money for the time being.

Cheers,

Crabman