Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions on putting a '96 Outback back together

First off, let me say that this is an awesome site--I've learned so much from prior posts that I actually feel confident working on this car.

This is my wife's Sooby I'm working on.

When she bought the car (without having me check it out first) she was assured that it had had it's timing belt changed and apparently it was because all kind of bolts were buggered up and custom marks were painted on all the camshaft pulleys.

She started having occasional overheats at 125,000 miles. The symtoms of head gasket failure were there--exhaust in the overflow tank--so I decided to do the whole gasket, seals, baffle plate, pulleys, etc. job. All my past mechanic experience has been on Type 4 Volkswagons and Toyota pickups. I was a little nervous at first but now that I've been in it, I really like this engine.

My first question is about the oil pickup o-ring. Which one is it?

Thanks again for the wonderful resource here!

Scott

Memphis, TN

Hi Scott welcome.gif

My first question is about the oil pickup o-ring. Which one is it?
Do you mean the o-ring between the oil pump discharge and block? There are a few styles. Earlier models AFIAK used what looks like a plain o-ring. EJ25 phase II's use what is sometimes called a 'mousehead' style o-ring (shown in pic below).

mickeyinstalled1.jpg

oilpumporing1.jpg

oilpumporing2.jpg