Ultimate Subaru Message Board

climate control controls stuck/cable FUBAR'd

84 GL 4x4 wagon, EA81 factory ac (although drained/disconnected)

Ok,

I have taken everything apart to get to all the connections that the cables attach too.. Lubed them all up, and still, they don't move freely with the cables alone .

I have found an awesome 83 GL wagon in a boneyard that was well cared for with a reman'd engine in it no doubt, tho it is auto (I know the engine is reman'd, cause it is CLEAN, and the old engine was sitting in the back of the hatch.. the idiot took it to the junkyard, apparently, for blown axles. I have already raped the radio console, visors, calipers and rotors, drums and wheel cylinders, new alternator that was in it, wiper motor, etc..

the climate controls in there are in AWESOME shape, and move everything sweet.

Can I just yank all the 'guts', cable, controls etc, without removing the dash, to transplant into mine? or do I have to yank the dash, the guages, the heater core, etc.?

I have tried and tried with my controls, at the back, behind the defroster ducts, and I think they are bent, screwed or otherwise,, considering I found another set in great shape, I would like to go that route, if possible without too much trouble.

LEMME KNOW!!!

/mike

Michael Dominesey

mikldom@yahoo.com

I've pulled 2, EA-81 dashes, but it's been a couple years since doing so.

For me, the hardest thing to do was to get the top 3 bolts out. Those are under the grille for the defroster vents. Getting the plastic keepers out of the vents isn't easy, then you need either an offset Phillips screwdriver, or very thin socket/ratchet to clear the winshield.

There's 2 bolts per side on the lower part of dash, right near the doors. You need to disconnect the cable for the heater shut-off and the one for the center vent. Then you have all the wiring connectors to un-plug. Drop the steering column. Some duct work for the dash vents will probally need to come out also.

Like I said, it's been awhile, but that's what I can remember.