Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 turbo 4x4 Transmission, Can i put a newer one in?

DiehardGL-10

I have a 1986 Subaru 4WD GL-10 Turbo, with Automatic transmission. The

governor gear blew while driving on the highway and i had it replaced

and about 2 months later also driving on the highway the gear blew

again, I had it replaced and almost never drive it , i was told i

should get a new transmission or have this one rebuilt. I am in New York,

about an hour north of NYC and i called all over the place . I cannot find

a junk yard that has one and was wondering if i can put in one from a

newer year? about a year ago i posted about the gear when it went and

most told me to put in a 5speed , and its easier said thain done, i only

have a driveway to work on my car so a project like that its too big.

Are there any alernatives? My car is driving again now. I just dont go

on to the highway anymore with it and took it off the road this summer.

I feel bad since i spent over 16 hundred putting in a rebuilt long block

in 2004 as well as an exhaust and alot of front end parts, But that was

back when i had money to spend and i was not in school like i am now

Its starting to rust and i see paint bubbling on both rear wheel arches.

I think i might just sell it on ebay

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/napolitan_2000/100_1105.jpg

your in pa? well i wouldnt mind a drive. how much you want for it? got any other parts for an 86? and does anyone know a source for repair pannels . If i am gunna kep my car and put a trany in it i might as well repair the reuted wheel arches.

I have a turbo trans from a 86. Not sre if you would be interested in it since there is so much distance between us.

Also whats this im hear about putting in a 5spd, does anyone know how involved it is , or would somone wanna to it for me if i pay them? lol

would be cool if i could put in a dual range manual trany into my GL-10 turbo.

Pretty easy really.

You need:

Transmission

Driveline

Rear diff

Shift Linkage

Transmission cross-member and mounts

Flywheel

Clutch

Pedal Assembly and clutch cable

Clutch fork return spring from a 85 to 89 DL

Interior console peices

Swapping in a 5 speed is no more difficult than swapping in another automatic. The only difference is the 5 speed is lighter and generally easier to install.

There is a single jumper wire needed to complete the crank circuit around the automatic's inhibitor switch. Just a soldered 12 gauge wire about 3" long pushed into the two corresponding pins on the harness connector for the autmatic selector mechanism (which will be gone).

It's very easy really to do the conversion. You are going to swap a transmission anyway, so why not do the one that will last?

GD

your in pa? well i wouldnt mind a drive. how much you want for it? got any other parts for an 86? and does anyone know a source for repair pannels . If i am gunna kep my car and put a trany in it i might as well repair the reuted wheel arches.

I would like to get around 250 for the tranny. I have some parts for a 86 but i have a wagon. if there is any certain item you are looking for just ask and ill look if i have.

Axle splines are different. but will work with an axle swap.

Wrong. Only the turbo MANUAL transmissions have the 25 spline axles. ALL AUTOMATICS have the 23 spline axles, turbo and non turbo. This is why you can swap a normal 4wd tranny in without changing the axles on the automatics.

The turbo 3speeds are built a bit stronger than the non turbos, but a non turbo auto will work just fine. They're all POS anyway, but the car will be back on the road. A 5spd swap is the best route, but any 3spd auto will plug and play.

Wrong. Only the turbo MANUAL transmissions have the 25 spline axles. ALL AUTOMATICS have the 23 spline axles, turbo and non turbo. This is why you can swap a normal 4wd tranny in without changing the axles on the automatics.

This isn''t true. Well it's partly true. All 3AT autos are 23 spline turbo or not. But after 88, Turbo 4wds got the new "fulltime" 4spd, 4EAT automatic. The 4EATs all have 25 spline. Which causes confusion when ordering axles. I always have to order axles for 5spd turbos to get the right ones.