Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Beautiful PNW . . . Sauk River Edition

audio_file

Whats up everybody? Hope all of your holidays are happy and at least remotely safe :headbang:

I'm new to sube's, and to off-road/rally in general. Recent events in my financial life forced me to get rid of a street/track G35 cpe ( :( ) which saw many mountain roads, country highways and beautiful vistas, but thats all it got to see, the pavement.

So, turning lemons to lemonade as it were (anybody got some vodka?) I purchased my soob, and love it of course. I took some time doing a "tear-down" when i brought subiwagon home because it had 110k, and though the body was near perfect, i had no idea what kind of life/servicing it had experienced over the last 110k. With my experience with street cars, and a lot of help from you all (thanks GD and everybody else!!) I think I've got this ol' lady back some of its original charm, and bite!!

Today was a tough one, so I decided to go for a drive . . . I'm glad I did. From time to time in life you lose perspective of the things that are truly important, and put too much time and stress into trivial things. Trips like the one I didn't necessarily mean to take today really remind me how blessed i am to be alive, and especially alive here in Washington . . . sooooo beautiful! I was just looking for an alternate route back to Burlington from the massive Sedro-Woolley, so I turned of hwy 9 at the "South Skagit Hwy" having no idea where the he** it led, this is what i found . . .

(sorry, i had no idea I'd be anywhere this beautiful, so all i had to document it was the camera on my phone . . .)

th_DSC00683_edited.jpg

th_DSC00639.jpg

Leaving pavement in 3, 2, 1, whoooo-hooooooo

th_DSC00682_edited.jpg

This is always a good sign to see . . .

th_DSC00677_edited.jpg

th_DSC00671_edited.jpg

th_DSC00688_edited.jpg

th_DSC00666_edited.jpg

th_DSC00665_edited.jpg

th_DSC00663.jpg

I went up this! i know, no big deal for subievets, but still . . .

th_DSC00662_edited.jpg

th_DSC00654_edited.jpg

th_DSC00653.jpg

th_DSC00651.jpg

th_DSC00650.jpg

th_DSC00646.jpg

th_DSC00644_edited.jpg

Like being in a rally, i just needed a co driver ". . . right, 30, uphill, tree on right"

th_DSC00643_edited.jpg

th_DSC00636.jpg

th_DSC00623.jpg

I'd never been down the Sauk River Valley, had no idea it even existed- right in my own back yard kinda. My short drive turned into about a 120 mile trip, if you include the forrest service roads, and was so much fun!!

Very glad to finally own a vehicle that can see both the pavement and the dirt!!! Awesome day, beautiful views, just had to share it with everybody who appreciates things like this when they come across them . . .

chris

the sauk river is gorgeous. if you were to take the mount loop highway portion, it used to be even more scenic. i hope they cut down a lot of the brush on the side of the roadway along the river... it used to be a lot more open and easier to see the gorgeous river below. the mt loop highway portion is from darrington to barlow pass.

Hey keep up the good work, er uh, side trip adventure drives! Your photos and story made for a nice five minute lunch break road trip.

A month or so ago we did a club cruise around the Mountain Loop. Next time ya' oughta come on along. Those drainages north of Darrington toward Glacier Peak look rather inviting.

Hey keep up the good work, er uh, side trip adventure drives! Your photos and story made for a nice five minute lunch break road trip.

A month or so ago we did a club cruise around the Mountain Loop. Next time ya' oughta come on along. Those drainages north of Darrington toward Glacier Peak look rather inviting.

sign me up!! those forest service roads are nice and muddy right now, but still passable. there were so many to chose from - i didn't know which way to go . . . next time i'll bring a "green trail" map or something like that :burnout:

chris