Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last year of the part time 4 wheelin Subies?

I believe, in the U.S., the last year and model with Part time 4wd was the 94 Loyale(basically a SPFI GL, with pushbutton Single range). Legacies were introduced in 90 and came in either 2wd only or AWD, no part time. Imprezas started in 93, and same thing 2wd or AWD models, but no part time. In 96, AWD was made standard for all U.S. models

Many around here say the best year/model for wheelin is an 88-89 GL, with D/R and SPFI. "touring wagon" models from 89 are espescially sweet(taller roof)

The ultimate 4wd subies are probably the 80-89 EA81 Hatchbacks. Short wheel base, pushrod motor, lot's of lift options.

I believe, in the U.S., the last year and model with Part time 4wd was the 94 Loyale(basically a SPFI GL, with pushbutton Single range). Legacies were introduced in 90 and came in either 2wd only or AWD, no part time. Imprezas started in 93, and same thing 2wd or AWD models, but no part time. In 96, AWD was made standard for all U.S. models

Many around here say the best year/model for wheelin is an 88-89 GL, with D/R and SPFI. "touring wagon" models from 89 are espescially sweet(taller roof)

The ultimate 4wd subies are probably the 80-89 EA81 Hatchbacks. Short wheel base, pushrod motor, lot's of lift options.

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it. Uhh whats a D/R? I know a stupid question, but I can't guess it.

Legacies were also available with part time, dual range transfers in some parts of the world. I think they had ej18s. Not sure what year this option was available till tho - quite possibly only till '94 as well.

Yeah and I think they were carbuerated too! But we never got those here in the states