Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 LPG Conversion

Mish

read quite a bit about timing.and learn your engine before you take this project on.ie,how it reacts under load and whatnot so that you can revel in the wonders of lpg.:grin:

Do I need to change spark plugs, i.e. would they behave better with LPG if I go with hotter or colder range ? I plan on using BPR6EY-11, but do not know how will that affect driving on LPG.

Gotpropane.com has a wealth of info on this type of conversion. Carbed is easier to convert than FI. Propane has a higher octane, so you can advance timing, but lower BTU so not as much power (but since we drive carbed GL's, we have power to spare LOL)

Do I need to change spark plugs, i.e. would they behave better with LPG if I go with hotter or colder range ? I plan on using BPR6EY-11, but do not know how will that affect driving on LPG.

you need plugs one grade colder.....and LPG is the one application that the uber-expensive "hi-performance" sparkplugs(i.e Platnums,super 4', splitfires etc) will give you better ignition than a standard plug.....i have Bosch Super 4 plugs in my LPG EJ18.....the difference in how much more smooth the starting, idle & running is on the Bosch's compared to NGK's is unbelieveable....

it was always a fight to get the motor to start on the NGK's...with the Boschs in i only have to wave my hand at the key and the motor's running

The most important change you need to make when using LPG or CNG (compressed natural gas) is regapping your spark plugs to 0.025" due to the fact that they are dry gasses. This is very necessary for easier starting.

You will experience a slight loss of power when using these fuels unless you install high compression pistons. These fuels run GREAT with compression ratios up to 14:1.

Engine oil stays clean much longer too.

it was always a fight to get the motor to start on the NGK's...with the Boschs in i only have to wave my hand at the key and the motor's running

...But, in a gasoline powered engine, would you still run NGKs????

You know my opinions on LPG.. to me, your word (regarding LPG) is Law. To me, NGK plugs are also Law. Left hand tells me the Right is wrong here.. I just want to make sure that you love the NGKs for normal applications before I accept this tidbit as Truth. :)

...But, in a gasoline powered engine, would you still run NGKs????

on a petrol fueled engine i would definately run NGK's....no point paying for uber-expensive kit when you don't need it

i don't know why the NGK's wouldn't do the job in the new motor, i've never had a problem with them before....all i know is that on a brand new set of NGK's it ran like a 'sack'.....bosch's in it an it runs like clockwork

• 5 months later...
Anyone have info on converting a '95 1.8 engine to compressed natural gas? Websites to check out, cost of conversion, tips if I wanna do it myself, legal issues, etc. I live in Washington State

i am running a ej18 on LPG....but with a distributor & homemade gaseous carburetor....

if you where going to convert a FI motor you would need a set of emulators to shut off the fuel injectors while running on gas.

i don't know too much about CNG except that its even higher octane than LPG so your timeing could be advanced even further.....i have my ej18 running 20deg BTDC.

One thing about gas fuels that isn't mentioned on most pages that have info is the fact that the fueling needs to tuned backwards to what petrol is...I.E...if you motor is pinging/detonating/knocking you need to lean-out the mixture when running LPG/CNG