Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trans questions (sorry, kinda long)

jbain8

Hello all I just purchased a 95 Subaru Legacy Wagon with the 5 speed and I'm a little confused. I plan to use it as my donar for my 2.2 buggy build, I just finished the D/R but I was talking to a guy that says the 5 speed in the 95 wagon is much better for my 1200 pound buggy application that the D/R is. I always assumed the wagon was geared at 3.90 but I was reading some posts here and now I'm not so sure. Can someone give me the low-down on the mid 90's 5speed trans please. I would like to know if it's all gears internally and thoughts on how it would turn 29 inch swampers on a 1200 pound buggy. I already have a D/R painted and ready to go but I still have to buy the adapter get a flywheel drilled and buy a clutch. There is also the speedo uncertainty but if I use the stock 5speed the speedo works and I don't have to buy the stuff to adapt it over. So would the experts give me some insite on this transmission please.

the internals are virtually identical. only difference is the lack of low range, bellhousing shape, and center diff (EJ one uses a VLSD, not fully locking).

also, most EJ 5-speeds have a 4.111 axle ratio. so the gears would be slightly lower than the D/R in hi range, but won't be even remotely comparable to the low range gears.

the speedo cable works exactly the same (as long as it actually has a cable)