Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Were's my CHOKE gone.....

My '92 Loyale single point fuel injected engine has been a dream fast start up since I bought it new. No matter how cold here in NJ over the years, it started quick, and I could immediatly drive it. I didnt ave to let it idle to warm up to drive. I could drive it right off the get go even when temps dipped into the low teens.

Last week , all of a sudden, it acts as if it has a old carberator with no choke. I have to pump the heck out of it to keep it running for a min or so. Then pump it to accelerate. Once the motor warms up it drives just fine. I believe my choke system has failed. Just waht I need now with temps in the 20's tomarrow:confused: ALL the fuses are good. It being throttle body fuel injected, I'm at a slight loss as to identifing compnentes on the throttle body.

IF my fuses (under the dash) are all good, where do I begin to get my choke working again????:confused:

start by finding the

FI CTS (Fuel Injection Coolant Thermosensor)

It is located on the upper rad hose connection

on the engine.

NOTE: there are two coolant sensors located there

The one you want has wires running into the sensor.

The wrong one has a just spade connecter.

You can take the FI CTS connector (barrel shapped)

apart and clean the contacts

but the sensor is probably bad.

IF you have a mulitmeter you can test it.

is it the green connector in the picture (hope it posted) or what it's connected to at the perceived themostat housing. It has 2 wires to it. The other is a single wire going to another area close by

Can I remove the sensor without loosing too much antifreeze?

The picture is poor due to limits here on size.

post-15400-136027626123_thumb.jpg

Just did some leg work, or should I say " let your fingers do the walking"? I called 2 auto stores and they said NO to carrying the sensor. I called my local subaru dealer / parts and have one on order. Lists for $81 but since I've bought alot from, I'm getting it for 65. I'll wait till close to 6pm and test again