Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hydraulic tensioner Which One Do I have

I am getting ready to buy the parts for my front engine overhaul and I am not sure what kit I need (belt and idlers). The engine is a 2.2 from a 97 Legacy. I am getting ready to by the kit of ebay and one seller states the 2.2 after 3/97 is different. How do I know what I need?

Only way to be 100% sure is to pop off the driver's side timing cover and look.

When I replaced my '98 tensioner (new style, $170 from the dealer.. ugh...), I asked around here and was told that even if you have the new style, you can pull the bracket off an old EJ22 and use the older style tensioner. It's cheaper, and I feel it's a simpler design even though it's not mildly 'gravity assisted' like the vertical-oriented new ones. I think the pulley is also available as a replacement part, which I don't think is the case for the new tensioner.

If you look at the front of the block on the newer engines there is not a place to mount the older style tensioner. I was goint to do this on one of my engines and found out quickly that they made changes so that the tensioners had to be the right one of the given year of manufacture.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

The ebay sets available from The Import Experts are built to OEM specs and are well worth the cost. They are very reasonable and you get all of the components.

Good luck.

If you look at the front of the block on the newer engines there is not a place to mount the older style tensioner. I was goint to do this on one of my engines and found out quickly that they made changes so that the tensioners had to be the right one of the given year of manufacture.

That's unfortunate. I'm planning on an ebay kit in the next year or two. Are the water pumps some of the kits include good enough?