Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car suddenly does not start. Thoughts?

Hello UMSB.

I've received good advice here in the past so I'm trying here first. I own a 98 Subaru legacy which is very soon becoming a huge money sucker. About a month ago I had the engine replaced due to a blown head gasket. The engine has roughly 81-82K miles on it. I drove it to and from work with no problems yesterday. This is about 25 miles round trip. I drove it around neighborhoods atopping it and starting it often as I ran errands. Now I go out this morning, turn the key and nothing. Simply nothing. There is a slight electric buzz and the stereo and lights work but not a spark and nothing close to even a crank or turn. I have absolutely no idea how this would happen. Sure it was kind of cold here last night but I have not had any problem starting this car in the past. I may try to jump it but I don't think that will do anything since there seems to be no firing.

What do you all think?

On the "jump" routine

folow #1 above.

Then

A) Connect cables safely.

B) Allow jumper to run at an elevated idle for a couple minutes

C) prior to attempting to start.

D) Remove cables safely

follow #,2,3 in above post

Most name brand auto parts will do it for free

e.g. Auto Zone, Advanced Auto

you should call first to be sure.

If you want a quick check

get a multimeter and measure the

battery voltage.

With the lights and heater fan on,

high idle (1500 RPM or so)

you should see about 14 volts

anything under 12 is trouble.

Hope this helps.

DO NOT disconnect the battery as a check.

I missed if this is an auto or manual?

Try it in nuetral if it's an auto.

It maybe starter solenoid contacts

it may be ignition switch contacts

in may be a nuetral start inhibitor switch

Try the jump or another battery with

cleaning the connections.

Then tell us the results.

No need throwing parts at

it at this stage without

further investigation.

I missed if this is an auto or manual?

Try it in nuetral if it's an auto.

It maybe starter solenoid contacts

it may be ignition switch contacts

in may be a nuetral start inhibitor switch

Try the jump or another battery with

cleaning the connections.

Then tell us the results.

No need throwing parts at

it at this stage without

further investigation.

So i jumped with no problem. Drove about 8-10 blocks. Then I went to switch keys so I could leave it idle for a bit but I had no success. It is dead again. I think I can go get a battery and throw it in easily enough if I can get it started again. A battery is no big deal to put in.

Do things like the headlights and radio and power windows all work when it won't start???

Do all the warning lights come on with the key to "run" before actaully turning it to start?

Do they stay on when you turn it to "start"?

Are you hearing a slight click, when you turn the key to "start"?

If the answer to all is yes, (and you've done what skip said you may have a corroded or connection to the starter solenoid. to test, connect a 2 foot wire with a female spade onto the starter solenoid terminal. Turn the ignition to "run". With car in park or neutral. Now touch the wire to 12v + at the battery. If the car cranks and starts you're starter is good. Either you're connection or you're switch are bad.

First check the spade connector for the solenoid in the harness. Clean it or even replace it(solder for sure), then possibly the connection of the ignition switch harness.

You can buy a new ignition switch, a used switch, or.... a pushbutton or relay setup may be used to bypass or assist the original ignition switch.

Where are these things located. I am planning on getting a new battery tomorrow. I really hope this is the only problem. I don't know a whole lot about where parts are in a car. Those things seem to work but Ihaven't tcleaned the connections yet. There has not been a click until the fifth or so attempt to start it. How much would it cost to have that sh*t done?

Do things like the headlights and radio and power windows all work when it won't start???

Do all the warning lights come on with the key to "run" before actaully turning it to start?

Do they stay on when you turn it to "start"?

Are you hearing a slight click, when you turn the key to "start"?

If the answer to all is yes, (and you've done what skip said you may have a corroded or connection to the starter solenoid. to test, connect a 2 foot wire with a female spade onto the starter solenoid terminal. Turn the ignition to "run". With car in park or neutral. Now touch the wire to 12v + at the battery. If the car cranks and starts you're starter is good. Either you're connection or you're switch are bad.

First check the spade connector for the solenoid in the harness. Clean it or even replace it(solder for sure), then possibly the connection of the ignition switch harness.

You can buy a new ignition switch, a used switch, or.... a pushbutton or relay setup may be used to bypass or assist the original ignition switch.

To find the starter,Look at the Battery, and follow the main Positve (+) battery cable back towards the center of the car. The end of the cable is bolted to the starter. ****That cable has power all the time, unfused, so don't touch it with any metal tools unless you unhook the Negative(-)cable form the battery first****

You may want to wiggle it to see if it's loose, and look for corrosion at that connection. Really though, it's just a way to help you find the starter.

Now near that cable connection, is another wire attached to a small tab on the starter. That is the "start" signal wire to the solenoid. If you put 12v(jumper wire from battery) to the solenoid, it should activate the starter.

Check that small connection for corrosion and see if it helps if you clean and crimp it. If that doesn't help, it's probably the ignition switch. You should get it replaced. or get someone handy with wiring to install a pushbutton. It shouldn't cost too much.