Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 legacy timing marks for california engines

We live in Vermont, bought a subaru legacy used. We didn't know that we had a california engine until the first time we tried to replace something. ALL of the parts are different, it seems, and the dealers in this area are basically clueless.

Now, our timing belt needs to be replaced and what do you know? The standard timing marks that came on our belt are wrong. The california timing marks are not included in the part, or in the haynes manual, and we can't find the information anywhere. Can anyone tell me what the marks are for the california engine?

My poor husband is about to throw a belt of his own!

Something doesn't sound right there.

First, what engine? Original? does it say the car is a Cali car or is it a swap?

My guess off the top of my head is that someone has swapped in a Phase 1 2.2 into it, which has a slightly shorter belt than the phase II 2.5 SOHC.

If you've for sure you got the right belt, you really don't need the marks. Just line up the Cam notches up, and the notch on the Crank Angle sensor weight(notch is on the tab on crank TB pulley, don't use the arrows)

Right on, make sure you got the california timing belt. For that vehicle, always give your VIN# to the dealer when getting parts and make them look up the correct part # for that vehicle. I'll look up the timing belt part #'s in a second so you can see which one you got. Also there is a good article on http://www.endwrench.com for 2.2L timing (not necessarily california specific) that I'll look up and post. edit: I see sea# 3 already got it! If you got to http://www.endwrench.com, click archives, and search for 'timing' there's several articles).

Hm...actually for '99 it doesn't appear to be a different timing belt part # for calif/non-calif. Which of these two belts below do you have, and does it match the engine you have 2.2L or 2.5L?

13028AA072 TIMING BELT FOR 1995-1999 LEGACY 2.5 ONLY

13028AA230 TIMING BELT FOR 1999 LEGACY 2.2 ALL