Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, ya'll. I tried to search for an answer already, but no such luck on specifics...

I have a friend with an extra set of WRX wheels and I'm thinking of mounting them on my 96 OBW. Right now I'm running 215/70s, which are slightly taller (almost an inch for these particular Winstons) and wider than stock. Stick my hand back around the tire and I have about a finger's width clearance between rubber and the spring/strut guard. Tight, but it works and the tires look sweet, filling out the wheel well perfectly. 40k with good performance and no issues.

So, the 2002 WRX wheels are a little wider (6.5 vs. 6.0 as I've read) but the same offset at 55mm. Say I put on 215/65 on them, and reason would suggest that I'll be 1/4 closer to the spring/strut guard on the inside but about the same height.

Looking for anyone who might have done this wheel upgrade with the same outback tire size or slightly larger. I want the widest and tallest that will fit. Thanks.

So, the 2002 WRX wheels are a little wider (6.5 vs. 6.0 as I've read) but the same offset at 55mm. Say I put on 215/65 on them, and reason would suggest that I'll be 1/4 closer to the spring/strut guard on the inside but about the same height.

Offset is the distance from the mounting surface to the center of the rim. So with the same offset the center of the wheel will be in the same position relative to the hub regardless of width. So a tire with the same outer dimensions will fit just the same.

Certainly true that a 215 tread width is just that on a 6.5 inch rim versus 6.0. Perhaps I'm thinking in the slightest of degrees. The edge of the rim at 6.5 inches wide with the same offset of 55mm would be 1/4 inch closer to the strut. Does it make sense to think that the tire would be that much wider at the bead and then bend up and around to the 215 tread width? So, I'm a little worried about rubbing along the sidewall, but it would probably be ok.

hmmm. Well, I don't think the wheel width will make a difference. there should be plenty of room between the strut tube and sidewall anyway.

If it's that close I'd be more worried about the new tires having a wider actual tread. Two tires with the same size written on the side are definitely not always the same dimensions.

My 225 Bridgestone RE750s were noticeably wider than the 225 Falken 912s I have now.