Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej20tt??????

h4life

i have a 86 brat and a 85 rx. i have been reading all i can but i have not seen any write ups on the ej20tt that seems to be so avilable on ebay. does anybody know much about the jdm twin turbo? the ulimete dream is to yank my 5spd ea82t with hi lo and get a 2.0twin. is this nuts or.... the ej22 swaps look awsome but i figure if your going to swap out the engine and all the wirering. maybe just go for it and use the twin. any info or advice would be great.

thanks

nick mantzoros

well, there's a reason the twin turbo motors are so cheap. they're not easy for a swap. the 2 turbo's will not fit in stock location in a left hand drive car. the left side turbo and the steering linkage will try to occupy the same space.....

SOO, quite a bit of custom work will be required to make the 2 turbos work, which is debatably not worth it. It sounds like a good idea, but there's a gaping hole, sometimes referred to as the VOD (valley of death) where the smaller turbo has run out of steam, and the larger one hasn't kicked in yet, so in practice, it just doesn't work very well.

So, then you open a whole new can of fabrication worms in the converting of an EJ20H or EJ20R to a single turbo. which isn't terribly simple (but not impossible).

short story, if diving into a hole extra realm of modification just to make it run (which I would never recommend, in my experience, keep it as stock as possible when swapping.....only mess with one level of modification at a time) sounds like your alley, go for it. otherwise cough up the money for an EJ20G, it'll be a simpler swap, for very similar results.

btw, technically an EJ20tt doesn't exist, and if you use that term around some of the more anal gurus, you'll get reamed out, even though you're just referring to any 2.0l twin turbo motor

So, then you open a whole new can of fabrication worms in the converting of an EJ20H or EJ20R to a single turbo. which isn't terribly simple (but not impossible).

What fabrication to convert to single.

I know there are a lot of lines to plug and crap to strip off, but I haven't seen where anything needs to be fabricated to convert.

What fabrication to convert to single.

I know there are a lot of lines to plug and crap to strip off, but I haven't seen where anything needs to be fabricated to convert.

well, fabrication, or just plain buying stuff. the entire exhaust and intake (pre-intercooler) systems are different. headers, crossover, uppipe, y-pipe (which isn't a Y on the tt systems......btw, in new-gen turbo car talk, a y-pipe is the piece between the turbo and IC), etc.

also, to convert to single turbo, you won't want to re-use either of the turbo's on there, as they're designed to run with both of them, running with just the one will drastically hurt performance.

so add the cost of all the above listed exhaust/intake stuff, plus a turbo, to the cost of the motor, vs just buying a single turbo motor.....

so what is the differance between ej20h and a ej20r? also the tranny from my rx. will that swap out with the stock brat 4spd? i read somthing about it has differant splines? thanx guys as you can see this is only my 3rd post but im trying to read as much as possible so i dont ask questions that have already been answered.

well, fabrication, or just plain buying stuff. the entire exhaust and intake (pre-intercooler) systems are different. headers, crossover, uppipe, y-pipe (which isn't a Y on the tt systems......btw, in new-gen turbo car talk, a y-pipe is the piece between the turbo and IC), etc.

also, to convert to single turbo, you won't want to re-use either of the turbo's on there, as they're designed to run with both of them, running with just the one will drastically hurt performance.

so add the cost of all the above listed exhaust/intake stuff, plus a turbo, to the cost of the motor, vs just buying a single turbo motor.....

Ok - gotcha.

I have most of that stuff already :-p

Plus a nice 16G to go with it.

so what is the differance between ej20h and a ej20r? also the tranny from my rx. will that swap out with the stock brat 4spd? i read somthing about it has differant splines? thanx guys as you can see this is only my 3rd post but im trying to read as much as possible so i dont ask questions that have already been answered.

I really don't know the difference, other than one is the newer version. but some research on Wikipedia or Nasioc would turn up the answer to that pretty easily

the tranny stuff, you'll find that any turbo EA82 tranny uses 25 spline axle stubs, and all EA81 axles have 23 splines. so a pair of custom/hybrid axles will have to be made. I don't know any more about it, but it's a common question, so you should be able to find a discussion about it here somewhere.

i have the rx i want to take the tanny from. would it be alot easier just to grab all the parts off that car. axles and hubs. rather than trying to make new axles?

not really....the EA81 axles are shorter. and the control arms are different. putting the inner axle cups from the RX axles on the EA81 shafts is a possibility, otherwise you're looking at some rather hefty modification to the rest of the suspension system. I wouldn't recommend that route unless you're a really good welder.

• 2 weeks later...

i put a complet gl-10 suspension on an 83 gl wagon and it worked, i had to add 2" to the lower control arm, bolt the leading rod on with 1 bolt instead of 2, and weld it on with some extra metal, it all worked but the front end was lifty as heck in 2 wheel drive, i ran it in 4 wheel drive and it was fine, but in 2 wheel it would break axle boots all day long