Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd hangs up

Yeah, its not instant on or anything. It'll help if you make sure the vacuum line running up to the solenoids and the lines running off of the solenoids are in good shape.

Also, the engine has to be under vacuum for it to work. So the pedal needs to not be depressed, or only slightly depressed.

Yeah, its not instant on or anything. It'll help if you make sure the vacuum line running up to the solenoids and the lines running off of the solenoids are in good shape.

Also, the engine has to be under vacuum for it to work. So the pedal needs to not be depressed, or only slightly depressed.

Thanks, I'll check out the vacume lines. My wife's '86 sedan engages and disengages immediately. My CJ7 engaged and disengaged immediately, too. So does my F150. Could I be having solenoid problems or should I just not be concerned about it?

the car will have to be moving to engage, disengage. also, the steering wheel should be straight, dont use the button while turning!

it's not a vac problem if the 4wd is in fact working. the vacuum controls a diaphragm thet pushes or pulls on a rod to actuate the 4wd

Exactly like Miles said.

I would add the vacuum needed is "stored"

in a canister on the shelf behind the pass

side strut.

If it's check valve goes bad you will not "store"

vacuum.

An easy indication of this

is the HVAC output vents change

when you pull a long hill or accelerate.

(the HVAC's vacuum controlled doors use

the same storage container.)

Be sure to

Check the tire manufacturers/sizes and pressures.

Do not use 4wd on surfaces that have good traction.