Ultimate Subaru Message Board

uhhhh wow no tunes no start!!!!!

Well I went to install my new deck today, the old owner just spliced a old pioneer harness into the wires to I had to cut that out and put a new (sony in), well I figured I wanted to first get the deck to fire up then do in all the speakers (as I have yet to find a definitive source for what color is what).

Anyway I get the constant, ign., illumination, and ground; turn the key....NOTHING....hmm try to turn the car over (for whatever reason) and NOTHING, the damn thing wont start, cranks but no start, I had just driven it like one hour before! w...t...f

no fuses blown

no power to the deck, but everything else works

I have a low batt light on when I turn the key to accs but it still cranks fast

headlights, wipers, blah blah works. but nothing to the deck?

What the hell!!!!!

Well the only wires I used were the ones I knew worked (as the harness to the old deck had the flags on constand ing etc., those are the only ones I used.

But yea everything is out now, also pulled one speaker, but I put it back in, so now it's got all the OEM speakers in, deck out, no start, I will check the links now.

Well it pulled this chit once before when I was buying it, I compression tested it w/ the coil wire off. I had the drives door open the whole time, and cranked it a few times too. When I reconnected it wouldnt start (cranked normal but didnt go). The next day when I went back to pick it up started right up

Dont know if this is the same thing.

It sounds like you aren't getting spark and haven't checked both sides of the fusible links to make sure voltage is getting there. These are the wires in the black box you mentioned and sure they are making good connection also.

Check to see if voltage is getting to the plus and minus sides of the ignition coil with the ignition on. If that is good see if the minus side is has voltage pulses while cranking the engine. It is best to use a test light probe for that if you have one. The light should pulse on and off if things are good there.

Yea I checked all the critical fuses, then I called my local subaru shop (all wheel drive auto in Kirkland, THEY ROCK!!!) and they told me about that dumb fuse, sure enough.

But in my own defense I am used to american cars (one of the purposes of this car is to keep the miles off my gas guzzlin' babys lol) so I never would of thought to check that fuse. ;) Every car has it's learning curve...

I thought you said no fuses were blown ;)

That freaking fuse, weirds me out why it causes that.

Along with the areas mentioned, the fuse also supplies power for the ignition system. One easy test to see if that fuse is good is to see if the horn works.