Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Out with the old. In with the new.

So there i was today. First day of good weather in almost a week and a half. So I thought to myself, why not work on the 6. I'm still in the process of removing the bad o2 sensor. (I know for sure its bad now, due to the fact when i finally got so mad at it i cut the wire and beat it to a pulp with a hammer....:banghead:)

I know.... Not one of my "brighter ideas"

So here's the problem I'm faced with. I've got the car jacked up and exhaust system dropped so I can reach the o2 sensor. I put everything i had in me tryin to break the darn thing loose with no success. Brains finally overcame brawn. So I took out my impact set and went to work on it. after 45 mins of impacting it hadn't budged an inch. Is there a possibility it could have reverse threads on it. Have i been tightening it all along and not know it?? Any ideas on how to remove this "thorn in my side of an o2 sensor" would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not questioning advice really, cause at this point im ready to try anything. But is that really a good idea with how much oil/grease and so on is on the underside of the car... Which part should i be torching? the sensor itself or trying to heat around it?

Keeping some smothering rags and perhaps a fire extingiusher isn't a bad idea. But really, If you've dropped the exhaust you should have tons of room to keep the flame off the car. Oil and grease doesn't burn as much as you may think(although it is flammable for sure) The only places to be VERY VERY VERY careful around are fuel lines and fuel tank. Which ytou shouldn't have to come near for this.

Be a little careful, and just heat the bung that the sensor screws into and you'll be fine. Even a small Propane or MAP canister torch will work if you don't have an OXY/ACTYL unit.

:banghead: :banghead: I sure wish i could find who originally did work on this car.... My buddy just helped me pull the entire exhaust out from under the car. got some heat to the o2 sensor and with a little impacting we got it out.

Here's the kicker of it all. I cant put in a new o2 sensor. Whoever did this job previously crossthreaded the threads like a *********************. Is there such a thing as a universal cat? If so i could really use one right about now... I'm gona see if maybe we can use a tap and die set to fix the threads.

Sorry if i said anything that offended anybody or anything. I just recently found out im bipolar. and it would always seem that when i get into that working mode thats when everybody needs me to do something for them all at the same time.

I've done some calling around. Thus far with no success on a tap and die set. Living in such a small town and less than $15 to my name doesnt help much either... I cant find any place that sells a cat for my 6. Would it be a good idea to try to "put" the new o2 sensor in. (maybe with a little force). I know that if i do this it will have to be replaced. thats ok though. I wasnt planning on keeping the universal o2 sensor on there for very long. It wouldnt hurt to put on some new cats too. Or perhaps i just straightpipe it? I have a couple other ideas of things to try to see if i can still refix these old threads.

im checking all my resources now to see if any mechs i know might have a set they would let me use for a couple of hours. this is a bummer for me. now i have the entire exhaust system stretched out on the road in front of the car. which is somthing i dont like leaving overnight. hopefully tomorrow will bring me good fortunes...

if this is an XT6 you have another option - leave it out. maybe spending isn't high priority right now. an XT6 runs fine without an O2 sensor. if you're having running issues without an O2 sensor, the sensor is not going to fix your problems.

the sensor should be replaceable with the exhaust installed, i've never removed exhaust to replace an O2 sensor on an XT6.

Gloyale is correct, the threads are the same as spark plug threads. spark plug thread chasers are very common and many people have them. try to borrow one, rent one, or buy one (maybe they're cheaper than typical taps)?

you might even try force threading an old spark plug in there and see how it does...if you can get it to go again, then toss the O2 in there.

[quote name=

the sensor should be replaceable with the exhaust installed' date=' i've never removed exhaust to replace an O2 sensor on an XT6.

[/quote]

Thats what i was hoping for. The only problem being is the front axel gets right in my way. Thats good to know that it can be run without an o2 sensor. Ill go on ahead and throw the exhaust back on tomorrow morning. Im hoping i can get it back up and running soon. Thnx for the help