Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cel- idle control system failure

Well, a new week, a new cel code. Last week was cam sensor. This weeks winner is idle control system (failsafe). (01 obs ej22-31k) I have not noticed and change in the idle speed or any other symptoms other than the cel. I know very little of the idle control. What components could be involved? what can cause this? Why does this keep happening to me. Does god hate me? I knew I shouldn't have kicked that midget. Anywho, It's been -30f the past week. could extreme low temps bung up something or ice up something in the intake? I would just love to go a week without seeing my check engine light. Tho I fear that may unintentionally bring on the apocalypse. (that would solve this issue):lol:

cold can have an effect....what i would do is clear the code and see if it comes back....thats a pretty low mileage car.....

I'll warm it up and give that a try. and yea, real low, I couldn't pass it up. Not too many of them around the midwest. It was a definite find.

Doesn't seem likely on a car with that low of milage..............

But believe it or not, a bad neutral position switch on the transmission can cause codes for IAC system malfunctions.

They will intermittently 'tell' the ECU that the transmission is in neutral when actually in gear.

If the idle seems to be fine all the time, this would be the first thing that I would look at.

I check them by driving the car with the Select Monitor plugged in a watch the neutral position switch signal.

You could also disconnect the harness connector on the top of the trans bell housing and use an Ohm meter to test it.