Ultimate Subaru Message Board

questions to the guys running outback or forester struts

mellow65

my question is how much lift are you getting by putting on the struts? are you using the outback sub frame blocks with them too? Are you having any problems with over extending your axles with the lift?

And are you able to get any where close to a normal alignment with them on? or are you buying camber bolts to get that back to normal?

search, it's all been covered...

my camber is still perfect

You don't need the body lift, and it sucks (read $$$) to install, but it does flatten the axles a fair bit, better angles is better MPG and axle life, but straight suspension lift is better offroad. the only reason I'd ever run the outback body lift is so that I could run king springs...

Axles, heck you don't even have to beat the axles out of the hubs to change EJ axles:rolleyes: seriously tho, they seem to hold up just fine and I've done seven lifts.

here are the 3 basic choices, (this roughly shows the different perch heights)

outback (blown) Forrester (new KYB GR2) Legacy (note angle of strut rod, not so healthy)

3-strut-options.jpg

and yet another before and after for all those who are bored and or curious,

'90 LS sedan, bone stock, auto pile ( yeah I know the angle of the shot shows nothing):

P3280138.jpg

"The Dog Taxi" w/outback GR2's & outback coils, rear '94 wagon tops, BFH inner fender massage, 225/60/16 M+S's- they only rub at full lock in reverse:

P1141902-1.jpg

so hurry up and get your awd rally pile (or show car for that matter) lifted, b/c it ain't gonna lift itself. oh and get new swaybar endlinks and strut tops and a bottle of blinker fluid while your at it.

My buddy got 2-1/2 in. on his 91 Legacy. Used Outback struts with the original Legacy springs. No body blocks.

Car seems to like it. running 205/75/15s, it did rub when fully bottomed out. But we fixed that :zzz:

Just last night we were "rallying" back over some logging roads in the coast range. The bigger tires really help hang onto the rough road and smooth it out, as compared to the stock 195/70/14s with no lift.

My buddy got 2-1/2 in. on his 91 Legacy. Used Outback struts with the original Legacy springs. No body blocks.

thanks that what i needed to know.

i will share later why all the questions about lifts. yes it's a lift but not really what everyone else does.

got to make it work with what i got.

thanks for all the info

• 3 weeks later...

And here's a pic of a 92 legacy with 98 outback struts:

p8296234ka1.th.jpg

Reused the legacy springs ans strut caps.

Just did the rear outback lift of a 95 impreza using 98 legacy outback struts. Used the legacy strut caps because the impreza ones had torn apart. Had to open up the 3 cap stud holes in the body and run them without their rubbers and put washers in to fit it all, but it works.

i put 98 forester new kyb gr2 struts all the way arond on my 95 legacy. the front sits up pretty good but the rear doesnt seem so much.

the car appears to be at normal ride height except for the awesome fender to wheel clearance in the front.

BUT i think this has to do with the stock rear springs beign worn or too short, since i really didnt need the spring compressor to install the springs. plus the original rar struts were blown out and rattled.

between the car at rest and up on a jack, there is a good 6 inches of travel in the rear. if i replaced the springs the car would look more like the pics posted above, and i'm sure the fronts will come up a little along with.

my wheels are 195/60 15

aluminum.JPG

rim.JPG

front.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
my question is how much lift are you getting by putting on the struts? are you using the outback sub frame blocks with them too? Are you having any problems with over extending your axles with the lift?

And are you able to get any where close to a normal alignment with them on? or are you buying camber bolts to get that back to normal?

I have a 95 legacy sedan with 98 outback struts and springs all around, no subframe blocks or rear trailing arms, etc.. JUST the strut (and spring) swap.

i gained 1.5(ish)" with the struts and another 1-1.5" with tires (running the smallest 14" BFG AT/KO, I think is 27.5" or 28") There are pix in the forums somewhere...

also here's a link (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3997&d=1151171638) for a pic of stock springs, 93 IMP, 95 LEG and 98 FOR... I did a forester swap in my wife's 93 IMP (98 FOR strute), but replaced the FOR springs in the rear with my old factory 95 LEG springs. It levelled out the rear and got rid of all the rake (old-school muscle car look, high rear end) that you see is some other FOR sturts into IMPs...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest northcoast

05-01-08_0616.jpg

I can't wait to replace my worn out shocks and swap the springs. Currently running 205/75/15's. It's a tight fit and I need to trim the fenders soon. If only I had the tools and cash to bump it up like the Monster Wagon.:headbang:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've done strut swaps as follows:

98 OB strut and springs (used) into a 95 legacy- GREAT results!

98 FOR struts and springs (used) into 93 IMP,

great front,

raked back... I then swapped the FOR springs for stock 95 LEG springs in rear which levelled out the back... great all around now......

So my newest question is what's the difference in height of OB springs vs. LEG springs?

I have a pic online of FOR, LEG & IMP springs side-by-side but I do not know how OB springs measures up...

Do the OB struts have longer travel, thus neccesitate a taller spring??

Does the OB STRUT give full lift alone, or is it a combination of taller strut AND taller spring to give the OVERALL taller stance with the LEG-OB strut swap??

I'm asking this b/c a friend wants to lift his 99 LEG.

I know it is easy enough and totally a drive-way job, but I'm trying to save him the hastle of going with used strut assemblies which will need to be replaced (as the stut cartdige will be more warn out) in a few years,

VS. getting NEW GR-2 OB struts and reusing his old LEG springs...

Thanks!

-mw-

Can you show pictures?

I can tell one thing - Legacy & OB springs are the same. Its the struts that has longer travel.

Cheers

AP

I've done strut swaps as follows:

98 OB strut and springs (used) into a 95 legacy- GREAT results!

98 FOR struts and springs (used) into 93 IMP,

great front,

raked back... I then swapped the FOR springs for stock 95 LEG springs in rear which levelled out the back... great all around now......

So my newest question is what's the difference in height of OB springs vs. LEG springs?

I have a pic online of FOR, LEG & IMP springs side-by-side but I do not know how OB springs measures up...

Do the OB struts have longer travel, thus neccesitate a taller spring??

Does the OB STRUT give full lift alone, or is it a combination of taller strut AND taller spring to give the OVERALL taller stance with the LEG-OB strut swap??

I'm asking this b/c a friend wants to lift his 99 LEG.

I know it is easy enough and totally a drive-way job, but I'm trying to save him the hastle of going with used strut assemblies which will need to be replaced (as the stut cartdige will be more warn out) in a few years,

VS. getting NEW GR-2 OB struts and reusing his old LEG springs...

Thanks!

-mw-

Can you show pictures?

I can tell one thing - Legacy & OB springs are the same. Its the struts that has longer travel.

Cheers

AP

I can't seem to attach a clear series of before; with FOR struts and springs; and with FOR struts and LEG springs :-\

Unfortunately I don't have these hosted online anywhere yet, and i do have a lot of other pix from during the process... these links are from the forum and should give you some idea but I could email more images.

stock IMP

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3975&d=1150778471

FOR struts and springs

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3978&d=1150778616

close up stock

close up with FOR stuts BUT legacy springs in back

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3980&d=1150778988

FOR LEG IMP springs

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3997&d=1151171638

Let me know if you'd like more or others emailed...

I should be available for a coupld more days this week then away for another week or more...