Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 whine and stick vibration

Hey all. I've had my first Sube now for 3 months and love it!

1. I recently noticed a low whining noise once my loyale heats up. The pitch matches the engine rpm's. I can also feel a high frequency vibration in the stick shift, leading me to believe it may be a transmission bearing. (???)

Initially i thought it was the p/s pump or alternator bearing, but a screwdriver stethoscope found only normal noises from them both. Is there a Trans replacement in my future and how far off?

2. Is it normal to see the battery voltage rise to 17V when the engine is revved?

Thanks.

Hey all. I've had my first Sube now for 3 months and love it!

1. I recently noticed a low whining noise once my loyale heats up. The pitch matches the engine rpm's. I can also feel a high frequency vibration in the stick shift, leading me to believe it may be a transmission bearing. (???)

Initially i thought it was the p/s pump or alternator bearing, but a screwdriver stethoscope found only normal noises from them both. Is there a Trans replacement in my future and how far off?

check the gear oil in the tranny - is it up to proper level? what does it look like? black and smelly? needs to be changed...

2. Is it normal to see the battery voltage rise to 17V when the engine is revved?

Absolutely NOT!!! get your alternator tested ASAP - if it is over charging (which it sounds like it is) it will fry your battery too!

Thanks.

I assume it's the 92 Loyale in your sig (remember, many people on here have multiple soobs). What's the mileage?

In general I would not assume that high vibration in the stick means much of anything. Actually it sounds like your whining might be the alternator dying but you need to check some things.

As for the alternator, have it tested. Autozone, Advanced and other places test your charging system for free. 17 sounds high but the gauges aren't that accurate. Your alternator could be causing the whining so start there since your seeing voltage fluctuations.

Can you hear anything in neutral when revving the engine? This doesn't necessarily mean anything since nothing is really loaded, but i'm curious.

There are other things that can cause a whining noise - like the timing pulley bearings. They are almost always noisy because they're 15-20 years old and don't have any grease left in them. It is a matter of time before they fail. I always replace them when I get one in because I've never seen anything but the originals in there.

Once they get bad they'll seize and the belt will just slide over the pulley, which eventually breaks the belt. The belts can last at least 1,500 miles in the "sliding" phase though - i drove one like that once. I've seen a number of seized pulleys and a number of broken belts due to this.

I agree - check your transmission oil and it should be changed if it never has been before.

Excellent advice! I will check both of those and let you know.

I measured the voltage at the battery terminals with a voltmeter as gauges are dubious.

Mileage 225000 km, 140k miles in mountain country.

Yes there is the whining noise in neutral... good point. that would eliminate the transmission bearing completely.

The timing belt pulleys were replaced with the belts. Luckily i bought the car off a bud and i have every receipt from day one.

Thanks, this service rocks!

Changed the alternator, no more whining.

Snugged up the clutch cable within tolerance, much less stick vibration.

Changed the drive belts as they were old, checked all the pulleys. The P/S pump pulley has a tiny bit of play, will keep an eye on it.

Changed the trannie fluid, it was ugly.

Next up, pan gasket...

Thanks for the help!