Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smoke at high Gs

Well I took a turn around left hand banked turn in my 90' loyale and looked behind me and there was SMOKE?!!!

no loss in oil pres, temp normal, it smoked for a few seconds and stopped, no power loss, nothing.

NOW the subie does leak oil (as you can see form my other threads) from the drivers side cam area, could the oil of just leaked on the hot exhaust pipe during the turn and flashed? or is this something else??

Thanks,

S

*When I bought the car is compression tested just fine 165ish on all 4, no oil in coolant, quite running engine, only problem I have noticed is the oil leak (which I will fix soon) and the annunciator panel "check engine" and "oil" lights are out (which I will fix as well).

It's your breather tube system. This is a known issue that was addressed with a service bulletin in the early 90's - all the SPFI systems were retro-fitted with a smaller tube into the intake boot where the breather hoses T off. If you do a search for stuff related to SPFI, and smoking you'll find threads with pics detailing the differences. There's a kit availible at the dealer - it doesn't entirely eliminate the problem but it reduces it a lot.

GD

I thought the breather fix was only for smoking on long RIGHT hand turns...? so Cracker may be on the mark with checking the PCV valve.

Anyhow, here's a thread that goes through the breather retrofit, even has pictures and the part number of the kit. I had to do this on my 91 Loyale, so your 90 will probably need it, too.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16162

You can make your own with heater hose and a few fittings, though.

I thought the breather fix was only for smoking on long RIGHT hand turns...? so Cracker may be on the mark with checking the PCV valve.

Anyhow, here's a thread that goes through the breather retrofit, even has pictures and the part number of the kit. I had to do this on my 91 Loyale, so your 90 will probably need it, too.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16162

You can make your own with heater hose and a few fittings, though.

Yea this was on a long LEFT turn, so is it the above mentioned PCV problem?

Thanks guys!