Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 EA82 Clutch Fork Return Spring?

** Never mind this thread, I was wafting around recent posts and discovered all answers here: **

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/clutch.html

Search first - dirrr :)

-----------------------

I think I need to adjust the clutch cable on my '85 Brat because I have to push my foot to the floor to stop the gears grinding when going into reverse.

The haynes, and my 1984 FSM manual describe a return spring on the clutch release fork but my car has a cable that runs along to a spring loaded throttle style assembly on the brake master cylinder.....

Is this where I disconnect the return spring???

What is this contraption for and why is it on the master cylinder??

Steve

So I swapped out my clutch cable at "Lunch Time" (2 hours)....

Did anyone mention that applying the spring clip to the peddle end is a PITA? !? !

BTW....

Is it supposed to take a couple of adjustments to get the play out of the cable?

I tightened it on the car as per directions and by the time I put everything back together and started to head to work, I couldn't get reverse!

I adjusted it again (was well slack after a couple of tugs while trying to get reverse).

Was great when I set off then as I got about 5 miles I found I have to push all the way to the floor again to get in reverse.

I guess the cable stretches a bit when new.

BTW - on my '86 Brat, there is a clip as mentioned in another post that routes the cable "Above" the heater hoses and steering linkage. My peddle seems hard to push down and don't know whether that is due to an aging clutch or the rather twisty journey the cable takes if it is routed under the heater pipes.....

Steve