Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'01 H-6 problem: Car jerks and/or stalls from a stop

I posted this over on LegacyGT.com, but they recommended I try here. So, here goes!

-----------------------------------------------

Hey all. My wife has an '01 LL Bean H-6, has about 120K miles on it. Great car, we bought it with 68K in '05 from Per Schroeder, the editor of Grassroots Motorsports. Very nice car, no issues really since we've owned it.

Several months ago, we were at a stop sign and accelerated to go through the intersection. The car seemed to lose all power, then quickly got it back. No repeat behavior until last night, we were within a couple miles of our house, on the way home from Ontario, a 6.5 hour trip. Same thing, at a stop and accelerated out into the road. This time, it lost power and all the dash lights came on, and it stalled.

To me this seems like it must be a dying alternator? My wife says that sometimes it takes a little longer to start than usual, I've noticed that a couple times, but not always. It starts and idles at a seemingly normal 1500rpm.

I'm aware that auto parts stores often can do alternator tests for free, so I'll try to do that on a day off. If one is needed, do you guys have a recommendation for a brand? I'd rather not buy from Subaru due to the expected cost, but I could be wrong. Don't need high performance, but I do need reliability. Also, I've not done alternator work before, so other than obviously having to undo the serpentine belt, is it hard?

Very weird, and extremely inconsistent. Thought maybe I could get some help. Thanks.

EDIT: I've also thought about maybe it being the fuel filter? I have a new OE one but haven't changed it out, yet.

=S2=

To me it can also be a tuneup. At 120,000 miles your due. If you dont have ignition wires, you should replace the boots that connect the coils to the plugs.

Plugs

PCV

Fuel Filter

After that we have a good baseline to see what is going on.

nipper

I replace the PCV, it may be due again but I don't think so. I've not yet done the plugs; I have a set in the garage (OE NGKs), but I don't have the tools to change them. It's a very difficult job, at least compared to the ones on my RS which are a cakewalk.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4142

Fuel filter I'm going to do this week, if I get a warm enough day.

Oh, it always happens during a LEFT turn, by the way. Don't know if that signifies anything to anyone...

hrmmm

The fuel tank is split in two, a left and right half. The right side has the fuel pump, the left has a "jet" pump (siphon). If your fuel filter is clogged, it may have an effect on the siphon action.

Do you recall the fuel level at the time?

nipper