Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since i cant afford to buy lots of parts for my cars i have been wanting a hitch for my 91 Legacy Wagon. I finally got to see a u-Haul hitch up close, there is no way i was going to buy one pre made. they sit to low and i already drag my bumpers not to mention how much they wanted for the hitch and the hitch looked so weak so like all my other Subarus I have had i decided to build my own. I now have a 2" reciever and it is in the center of my bumper so i lose no ground clearance and after i built it i tested it out in the yard hooked a tow chain around the rear of a chevy luminia and the ball and drug the car with the e-Brake on all over on dirt without wheel spin. I have the ej22 and fulltime 4wd auto 4speed trans.

Well your hitch should work, but please pull light loads only. Don't tow another car with it. Subies don't have full frames, so there is just not the strength in the unibody to tow much. Also, the trany is not strong enough to pull much weight. Anything more, will burn up the trany. At most, you may want to buy or build yourself a small, and I do mean small trailor, as the tow vehicle.

Don't forget to wire up some brake and tail light harnass, and you should be set.

i have hauled many cars with my ea81 rusty wagon... i pulled a for ltd with my fwd auto ea82 wagon.. i pull lots of cars and havent had problems yet. The harness for tail lights is in my tool box started raining.it goes through the spare tire well and across rear or car and throught bumper holes the plastic cover is now empth and held on with the side 6 bolts....