Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel pump for 86 brat? what r my options???

my fuel pump went bad on the brat this week. i went to advanced to get a new one but it was $260 there are a lot of subarus at the local junk yard but all but on are ea82 and newer. not sure what my options are. also where would it be located on anything else. the brat was so easy to get it out. there is a sedan there i think its an 78ish. any and all info will help thanx guys.

nick

Assuming it's carburated, any fuel pump from a carbed model EA series would work. It's located on a little triagular shelf in front of the fuel tank by the passenger side rear wheel. An EA82 will work fine but the bolts to attach it to the frame of the car might not line up perfectly. But I used an EA82 pump on my 1982 GL wagon last fall and it worked fine. Cost you about 15 bucks from the yard. you're all set. I'm pretty sure the FI pumps will interchange as well, but not 100% sure.

Where's that 78 at? I could use some parts for my 79 Brat.

Carter 6050 is what you want. They are excelent pumps.

There is no reason to use the stock pump. It's just a pump - anything that matches the volume and pressure required by your carburetor of choice will work just fine. Modify the mounting to accept a normal centrifugal pump.

Here's the Carter at summitracing:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRT%2DP60504&N=700+300309+4294836965+4294891680+4294907499+4294899824+4294907273+115&autoview=sku

GD

I'm pretty sure the FI pumps will interchange as well, but not 100% sure.

Not so much actually - FI pumps are 50 psi. Carbed pumps are 2.5 - 3 psi.

Not only that, but you might start a fire as the carb pump wiring may not do the job for the FI pump.

If you are really hard-up, then an EA82 carb pump will work. Anything besides direct replacement will require changes in the mounting to make it fit. Possibly differences in hose sizes too. I wouldn't touch anything from the 70's. It would work, but a pump that old is asking for trouble. They are under the hood if you are wondering.

GD

Not so much actually - FI pumps are 50 psi. Carbed pumps are 2.5 - 3 psi.

Not only that, but you might start a fire as the carb pump wiring may not do the job for the FI pump.

If you are really hard-up, then an EA82 carb pump will work. Anything besides direct replacement will require changes in the mounting to make it fit. Possibly differences in hose sizes too. I wouldn't touch anything from the 70's. It would work, but a pump that old is asking for trouble. They are under the hood if you are wondering.

GD

Yeah, I didn't state that really clearly. What I meant was that FI pumps should work across the different generations. If I remember correctly, an EA82 FI pump should work as a replacement on an EA81 FI pump.

Yeah, I didn't state that really clearly. What I meant was that FI pumps should work across the different generations. If I remember correctly, an EA82 FI pump should work as a replacement on an EA81 FI pump.

That depends on the pump. SPFI pumps are less pressure than Turbo pumps or MPFI pumps. They aren't all the same, although many will *work* in a pinch due to all of them putting out more pressure than the system requires - the SPFI pump puts out 50 psi, but only 21 psi is required by the SPFI pressure regulator. It's not a good idea to just throw things in that *might* work. Better to find the applicable specs and at least make an educated guess at it.

Take Jerry's offer - he's a good guy and will make sure you get what you need. You're lucky he saw this and has one for you.

GD