Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL Wagon Lift Gate Struts and Mounts

Carter

My new to me 87 GL wagon with 191,000 miles needs to have its original liftgate struts replaced. After noticing a wide fluctuation in prices, I found some new ones at Parts Plus here in Missoula for $42 for the pair. A great price, but the problem is that the set only included the top mounting bracket (where the strut attaches to the lift gate). It included some vague instructions about re-using the old mounts, but I don't want to do that because it would mean peaning out the old struts from the bracket.

Are there are other brands (admittedly more expensive) that include the proper mounting brackets so that this replacement job is a simple bolt out, bolt in operation?

Or should I take a walk out to the junkyard--it's a mile one-way from the front gate to the land of Subarus.

Thanks,

Carter

I've had good luck with the pair from the junkyard. I think I only gave $5 or $10 for them.

As far as new aftermarket struts go...usually you have to drill out the old lower mounts. My brother had a 91 Eagle Talon, and he had to do this with the replacements he got. They worked fine. And yes I remember the instructions being vague.

edit: I said lower, but it could be either end.

Make sure you observe them holding up the hatch before you purchase them.

My.02

Glenn

82 Hatch, struts haven't held up the hatch for at least 10 years.

(the long snow scrapers will work perfectly for this)

01 Forester, struts still holding strong.

I replaced both of my hatch struts and they came with no hardware to mount them so i just drilled out stock hangers and used some stubby bolts and locking nuts to hold in place. Workes great, just get bolts the size of the drill out and it will be nice and snug! Hope this helps. If you need a pic ill see what i can do just let me know>pm me or emailo me but im sure youll be ok :cool: Sean