Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trailer wiring harness help desperately needed.

My ’03 Outback Limited has me admitting defeat regarding finding the plug for the trailer light harness. I’ve moved/removed a good amount of “covering” on both sides for better access to no avail, looked into different forums for instructions, saw a number of pictures etc, all for not. The left rear light assembly has a 12volt outlet, a drain for the lid and some wires going into the assembly. There is a cable bundle in back of the rear seat going from one side to the other which I followed closely and it comes out in the area of the rear right speaker with a “lot of wires” just in back of the right tail light assembly. I pulled the side covering out while my wife ran her hand inside feeling for any plug a number of times from the back of the rear seat to the lights. NOTHING! Might it be that this model does not have this connector I’m in search of?

I’m fairly good mechanically having retired from the service business some years ago and do most repairs around the house and for friends. I guess X Ray vision would help.

Any pointers deeply appreciated. Vic.:confused:

http://www.autoaccessconnect.com/sufoandleou1.html

I'm not sure that there is a connector ready to go but the above link seems to indicate that you use their interface instead of cutting into your wires. Hope this helps.

http://www.hitchestogo.com/Instructions/N118370.pdf

This shows location of connector where you will install Tee.

PS Second company is about $10 cheaper!

I have a 2000 OBW which should be exactly like yours. I too had trouble finding the connector but yes, it was up there, passenger side, behind the interior trim, closer to the wheel well than to the tail-light. Frankly, it is wrapped tighter and more completely than it needs to be for something that is intended to be accessed.

My ’03 Outback Limited has me admitting defeat regarding finding the plug for the trailer light harness. I’ve moved/removed a good amount of “covering” on both sides for better access to no avail, looked into different forums for instructions, saw a number of pictures etc, all for not. The left rear light assembly has a 12volt outlet, a drain for the lid and some wires going into the assembly. There is a cable bundle in back of the rear seat going from one side to the other which I followed closely and it comes out in the area of the rear right speaker with a “lot of wires” just in back of the right tail light assembly. I pulled the side covering out while my wife ran her hand inside feeling for any plug a number of times from the back of the rear seat to the lights. NOTHING! Might it be that this model does not have this connector I’m in search of?

I’m fairly good mechanically having retired from the service business some years ago and do most repairs around the house and for friends. I guess X Ray vision would help.

Any pointers deeply appreciated. Vic.:confused:

etrailer.com - the picture on this webpage is for the Forester, but if you read on it states that connector for the Outback is located on the drivers side (Should be the same for all later 200x Outbacks).

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118370.htm?vehicleid=20032410

This question appears every now & then. I decided to take pictures of the location in a MY01 Outback LTD.

Passenger side rear cargo area. Raise tire cover, lift center up plate over spare, remove carpet plate on passenger side and thick insulation plate.

GO FISH! :lol:

http://www.geocities.com/ss_aruba/golf_shots/Plug_1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/ss_aruba/golf_shots/Plug_2.jpg

Thank you for the responses. I’ll check closer to the wheel well again tomorrow weather permitting. Someone on responding to a situation like mine a while ago indicated that the drivers side might refer to right side of the vehicle. It gets very frustrating as it should be a simple, as KISS to find a connector. I thought these cars were driver friendly! You should see all the cuts on our hands doing the search. Any more thoughts are welcome. :clap: Vic

The plug on my 02 OBW LTD was on the driver's side between the tail lights and the wheel well.

WOW, if you MY02 is on the driver's side then Subaru moved it from the MY01 location.

(see my pervious post with pictures)

The connector for my 05 OBW XT is on the driver side as well. I did find references on googling that appears that some MY 00 to 04 may be on the passenger side:rolleyes:

You'd think Subaru would standardize something like this...:rolleyes:

Searched both sides on my Legacy00. I don't even know if there is supposed to be one there BUT can someone spare a Band-Aid?:popcorn:I'm a spectator from this point on.

Boy can I identify with that! :headbang: I got so frustrated yesterday I needed to take my truck for a ride as I had a strongly feeling of getting the Saz-All out and making short work of the rear inner liner. There WAS a plastic holder for the jack on the left side that showed nothing as a result of being cut up and now mostly gone. :mad:

Boy can I identify with that! :headbang: I got so frustrated yesterday I needed to take my truck for a ride as I had a strongly feeling of getting the Saz-All out and making short work of the rear inner liner. There WAS a plastic holder for the jack on the left side that showed nothing as a result of being cut up and mostly gone. :mad:

I guess I'd head over to my friendly Subie dealer and pick their brains.

And maybe call SOA and tell them what a PITA it is to find the connector... it shouldn't be that difficult.

The trouble is there are a huge # of shouldn’ts in our surroundings.

I went out between cloudbursts and did some more bloodletting under both side covers following the main cable enclosures over the wheel wells and back to the lens enclosures. I felt nothing like a plug with wires going into it, loose or taped to anything. Maybe wait till my wife gets home and I'll test her patience. I would hate to go in and tap the brake and running light wires as they look like a minimum gauge. :eek:

SUCCESS! After some more scrapes and cuts with no positive results my smaller than I wife came home and did some exploring. Behind the right wheel well, way down and not viewable was the plug taped to the harness. The only way it was seen is because the cover for the speaker was off and that area of panel was pulled out as far as it could be. I’d like to more than talk to the genius that decided to put it there. Thanks again for all the input. Vic.:banana:

We are all so glad that you found it! I remember picking up my 02 OBW and the new factory trailer hitch the same day at the dealership, and then rushing home to put it on. I opened the trailer hitch wiring harness package that came with the new hitch, read the instructions, and then hunted for an hour for that darn plug, only to find it on the entire opposite side of the car that the instructions stated! Thank the Lord that on my 07 the instructions lead right to it. (I guess that sometimes the factory and the parts suppliers get their messages crossed.)

my sister has my old 98 impreza 2.2l 2door. and she needs to put in trailer this weekend so she can drive back to pa from vt. i told her i would ask around for her on any ideas. i read this thead. do you suppose her car would have a harness also? thanx nick

my sister has my old 98 impreza 2.2l 2door. and she needs to put in trailer this weekend so she can drive back to pa from vt. i told her i would ask around for her on any ideas. i read this thead. do you suppose her car would have a harness also? thanx nick

I don't think so - only Outbacks, maybe the Foresters of that vintage. But to be sure contact a local dealer or SOA and let them provide the answer.