Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Rear Brake Shields 98 Obw

Getting ready to do my rear wheel bearings in my 98 OBW, only to find out my rear brake dust shields are rusted.

Would like to replace them at the same time, 109 bucks per shield at the dealer is quite a sticker shock :eek:

Looked at a couple of junk yards with no luck, there shields are worse than mine. No luck with Ebay either.

Anybody know where I could find them cheaper?

I'd say try a wet coast Wrecker.

Perhaps SSK(Subaru,Suzuki, Kia) in Rancho Cordova? Tony there will usually try to fill strange requests. Which a set of dust shields would be.

I can't imagine really NEEDING to replace them. But if you want rust free ones, order from the west coast.

take them off (you'll do that to replace them anyway) need to pull the hub first anyway to do the bearings. Getting off the ABS sensor is easy (1 bolt), just don't pull on it too hard

go find a sandblaster (or buy one from harbor freight if you have air) and blast them to bare metal (yeah, a bit of time involved - if you have the blaster, maybe 1 hour for the "tiny spot blaster")

repaint with rustoleum primer (heavy coat) and a top coat of whatever color suits you.

reattach

Unless they are corroded, rusted to show spots thru the metal, you don't NEED to replace them - just make them "pretty" (and that not "needed", just desired). AND - if they ARE rusted thru, you likely have "other rust problems elsewhere" anyway. Their function isn't structural, it's just to keep the crud off the insides of the rotors.

but... it's your money...:popcorn:

Impreza (many years) Forester 98, Outback, they all are the same part number with rear disks

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partlistbymod.php?subcat=Brakes%2C+Rear+Shields