Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking for a break down of the 4eat

trying to figure out if i can get the speedo shaft out with the trans in, i think there is a keeper i can pull from the side but i cant remember, any body got a nice pictural breakdown??

this may help. but i think you are going to have to pull the trans and then remove the carrier.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/All_talk/Subaru/4EAT/?

you can see the plastic? drive gear , the speed sensor mounting hole is in the top right corner of the picture, I THINK.

since there doesn't appear to be any way to attache the mechanisim in this picture, is it possible that it threads in from the top

where the speed sensor attaches. of course if the drive gear is bad .......

Image015.jpg

well i know the small gear on the shaft is bad, the tech said he could do it, but wouldnt explain how, im still searching

i have a pdf file that appears to be the FSM for the subaru 4eat. i can't upload it but if you pm me your email, i'll attach it for you.

it says,

2) Install the washer and snap ring to the speedometer shaft, and

set the oil seal. Then force-fit the shaft to the converter case

3) Install the speedometer driven gear to the speedometer shaft,

and secure with a snap ring.

the picture for step 3 shows it being done from the insde of the diff case.

let me know.

i have a pdf file that appears to be the FSM for the subaru 4eat. i can't upload it but if you pm me your email, i'll attach it for you.

it says,

2) Install the washer and snap ring to the speedometer shaft, and

set the oil seal. Then force-fit the shaft to the converter case

3) Install the speedometer driven gear to the speedometer shaft,

and secure with a snap ring.

the picture for step 3 shows it being done from the insde of the diff case.

let me know.

julestatum@comcast.net

thanks

I think you can pull the axle and then take out the bearing adjuster to get at the speedo gear. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it'll come out that way. It's worth a shot before you pull the trans. Mark the adjuster so you can put it back where it was.

I think you can pull the axle and then take out the bearing adjuster to get at the speedo gear. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it'll come out that way. It's worth a shot before you pull the trans. Mark the adjuster so you can put it back where it was.

Yes this would work. You'll need some angled snap ring pliers.

really? you're sure about that? i thought i asked in another thread a couple months ago and it was mostly suggested it wasn't possible though maybe a person or two said it might work.

In theory, this should work. But, now I remember why it was a maybe.

IIRC The Diff will be in the way. Specifically the tappered bearing on the end. If you could pull the bearing and the big nylon gear of the diff carrier, then there would be enough room. Pulling the pressed bearing and gear off the diff is where I think you might have trouble.

But in theory, If you can get the bearing and gear off, you should have access throught the bearing retainer hole.