Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to put 2WD 5-Spd Tranny in a '79 Brat?

Hey fellas,

I have toyed with the idea of putting a 2WD 5-spd transmission in my brat. And now it seems like I have located a transmission, I'm trying to figure out if I should go for it or not. I have read some varying opinions of the difficulty of the swap. I have heard that its a "bolt-on" job, I have also heard that some fabrication is required.

Can anybody give me the skinny on exactly what this will take? And can you also take a look at the picture and let me know if I am looking at the right transmission, if it will mate to my EA71? The seller only describes it as a "77-84 1600/1800/Brat trans"

Thanks, Crabman

post-22799-136027627619_thumb.jpg

Only question i would have is why go from 4wd to 2wd? If you want one extra gear i believe its possible to convert to a Dual range 5 speed (not sure on this though since yours is a gen 1).

Yeah I have no good answer for you. Just because? No truth is I do a lot of freeway driving and I can tell my brat would love one more gear to shift into at those highway speeds. It should help with mpgs. I don't really have much off-road use for the car. I don't really know if I want to make the conversion yet. Once I find out what is involved, I'll have a better idea.

I believe you will encounter issues with the rear crossmember/trans mounts, as they differ, the exhaust hangers and the position of the opening in the floor. If you have access to a 2 wd pats car, you will have it made.

Todd

OK finally attached a better picture. Does that look like a Gen 1 tranny to you fellas?

Well changing exhaust hangers wouldn't br a big deal, but if I needed crossmember/trans mounts of a gen 1 2wd, I think I would be out of luck. Gen 1s are almost non existent out here. And its outside my ability to fabricate that sort of thing.

Guess I will let this one go, and focus on other improvements.

post-22799-136027627621_thumb.jpg

It looks like a late EA71 trans. Like a gen 2. The rubber mount is different on Gen 1/2WDs, but I think you could make it work.

The 2WD rubber mounts on Gen 2/ 2wd's are the same as the Gen 1 4wds. But the Gen 1 2wds had a rubber mount that was on the bottom, not the sides of the trans.

Todd

Hey Todd,

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to get the gist of what you are saying. So, would I have better luck putting a 2WD tranny from a Gen 2 in my Gen 1 Brat? If so, would it be a 'bolt-on" operation, or would there be other special considerations, fabrication and what not involved?

Thanks,

Crabman

No truth is I do a lot of freeway driving and I can tell my brat would love one more gear to shift into at those highway speeds. It should help with mpgs.
I will attest that you will get better mpg's with 2WD. Every summer I remove the rear driveshaft [it alone weighs about 40 lbs.] from my 4WD Sentra and put the transfer case in 2WD. The car not only gets about 2 or 3 mpg more, but the performance increase [less drag] is very noticable as well. If you really don't need 4WD, you're better off without it.

Mike