Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belt Interval for 2.5 DOHC '97

Hi all!

I'm finding conflicting miles for the interval. I'm hearing 60K miles because I have an '97 2.5 DOHC, and the '98, '99's are 105K. What gives? My 2.5 was rebuilt in 09/02, with 85K miles on it. It has timing belt part # 13028aa072. Is THIS the 105K belt?

The guy I bought it from had the block crack. So it has the newer HG's also.

Thanks, Subeeted

I believe that the interval depends on the shape of the cogs on the belt itself.

Earlier belts were square ribbed, later were rounded.

Of course you would need the corresponding cogs for each

The rounded belts allowed for less traumatic lift off the cog as it spun mimimizing breaking of the ribs.

They might have also improved the rubber they were made of as well. People got a bit pissed at always having to change the timing belt every 60K:dead:

On a 2.5 its a big deal as its an intereferance motor.. The 2.2L in my outback is not:banana: Not sure about the 2.5L Turbo in my BAJA though..:confused:

On a 2.5 its a big deal as its an intereferance motor.. The 2.2L in my outback is not:banana: Not sure about the 2.5L Turbo in my BAJA though..:confused:

All Subaru motors after 97 are interference motors. Change you're timing belt religiously, or else.....