Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Father and the '69 Subie

I sure wish I had a picture of it, but I don't.

My father comes home in 1969 (I think it was '69, about 90% sure) with this brand new tiny white two-door car with red upholstery inside. He told my mother: 'Look! I got this from the dealer in Auburn (Washington State) for $850!'

He said the dealer had five of them, and couldn't sell them at $1350, so he sold them all for $850. Imagine a brand new car for $850...

My mother wasn't impressed though. She pushed her hand on the back fender and it popped in, then she reached inside the fender, inside the wheel well, and popped it back out. 'Look at that," she said. "I'm not driving THAT."

Ha. Ha. She took me to California in it, and it was my first time driving anywhere, really.

I have an 87 wagon I love, but for the REAL experts on this forum, I don't know much about these ancient Subies, I'll admit. I think I remember that it had a 360cc engine. (?) I thought: 'Geez...my Honda bike has a 350 cc...' :-\

Anyway, we kept the car for a couple of years. I kept finding all these funny little options hidden on it. My brother and I stole it from the family driveway for midnight rides fairly regularly. Many years later, when I told my father what we used to do at night with the car, he still got mad, even after all those years. :grin:

cool story . . . sounds like the 1st time my dad brought an old honda 600cc coupe home (chain driven and air-cooled, 10' tires, i'd seen bigger on golfcarts) that thing screamed though, it was like driving a motorcycle, but without the *fast* :grin:

and the center console mounted gear shifter was cool, i was selling honda's when they did it again with the civics and i remember people thinking how weird and "newfangled" that idea was :rolleyes:

those things clocked in at 50mpg or better, i'd love to own one now!!!! i'd be rollin w / 13's on it (massive) :cool:

:headbang:

chris

cool story . . . sounds like the 1st time my dad brought an old honda 600cc coupe home (chain driven and air-cooled, 10' tires, i'd seen bigger on golfcarts) that thing screamed though, it was like driving a motorcycle, but without the *fast* :grin:

daggum... the S600! I've got 2 of them back in OZ in the process of restoration actually. One Roadster and a Coupe

Here's an S600 beside an S200

112_0708_02z+honda_s600_honda_s2000+front_view.jpg

Red line on them is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9500+ and they've been known to hold 13,000+ RPM without a problem. Needlebearings on the crank, 1 carb per cylinder... I freaking love 'em!!