Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi A/C questions, 85 GL

The car is a 1985 GL wagon with a Weber and Hitachi A/C. Over the winter (the car was in storage from November-March) the A/C died. The compressor clutch doesn't engage when the A/C switch is depressed.

I followed the "Compressor Clutch Diagnoses" flow chart in the 1989 FSM (section 4-7, page 63). The clutch did engage when I shorted the red/black wire on the A/C relay to ground, as the chart says to do. I worked my way through the chart and eventually came to the last box, "replace thermostat".

I pulled the A/C thermostat out of my Loyale, which was blowing cold when it was parked (that was over a year ago). Did not install it into the evaporator box of the GL, but hooked up the leads to see if it worked. And... nothing.

Anybody have any good ideas about where to go next?

Thanks,

Andy

The pulse generator is adjusted correctly and should work fine, but it's possible that it's gone bad. I found another flow chart that has a test procedure for it, which I will try. I am running two belts.

I suppose it's possible that it's low on freon, but there are no leaks that I know of.. something to check, though.

Doug, thanks for the parts offer.

I will update when I get another chance to work on it.

Thanks for all the replies,

Andy