Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Location of idle switch- SPFI and MPFI

The '89 FSM says that, when timing the engine (SPFI or MPFI), you must make sure the idle switch is on- but they don't tell you where it is. I'm assuming it's part of the throttle position sensor. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Andy

Idle switch is part of the TPS assembly

For SPFI its pins A and B. (top 2 as installed on vehichle)

For early (flapper) MPFI it's pins 1 and 2. Pin 3 is the Wide open throttle contact.

For later (hotwire) MPFI it's the only 2 wires going to the 3 pin connector on the body of the TPS. Not the pigtail.

For all, there should be continuity across the pins at throttle fully closed. Insert a thin feeler .012 inch feeler gauge between the throttle shaft and the stop. There should now be no continuity.

Idle switch is part of the TPS assembly

For SPFI its pins A and B. (top 2 as installed on vehichle)

For early (flapper) MPFI it's pins 1 and 2. Pin 3 is the Wide open throttle contact.

For later (hotwire) MPFI it's the only 2 wires going to the 3 pin connector on the body of the TPS. Not the pigtail.

For all, there should be continuity across the pins at throttle fully closed. Insert a thin feeler .012 inch feeler gauge between the throttle shaft and the stop. There should now be no continuity.

This is what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming.

Andy