Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission Question.

So, I came across a transmission that I was told came off a Loyale, such as mine. So, I'm a little confused though. It does not look the same as mine nor does it look as though it's 4WD. It looks like it is AWD. On it is stamped FM-7 and 4S3BH675616666039 I'm guessing it's a VIN. if that is the VIN from the car it came out of it should be from a 2001 Legacy Outback. How can I confirm this 100%. Is this transmission any good to me? Eventually I would like to put an EJ in it. The transmission is in good working order however, would there be any advantages to this transmission over my 5spd 4WD? Also, if I got an EJ, used this transmission, would it bolt in the car I have now? I'm sorry I have so many questions. I'm new to Subaru's and just want to learn as much as I can about them. I used to be an old Volvo nut but since than have sold my last Volvo and now have my 1992 Loyale.... THANK YOU

yes the 4S3....VIN sounds like an EJ transmission.

in my opinion (and i'll admit it's opinion), the newer EJ 5 speed transmissions are a down grade compared to older generation transmissions for off road and nasty stuff driving. they don't have a locking center differential, that's their downfall.

it's not really any good to you without an adapter plate for your EA82 engine. they won't bolt up, amongst a few other issues....electronic speed sensor, rear trans mount won't line up...minor stuff but differences to contend with. it's far from a "drop in" replacement.

and...the newer EJ's 1999 and up i believe - have 8 bell housing bolts instead of the pre-1998 ones that have 4...so for your EJ swap you'll have to figure that out depending on what year engine you get.

EA transmissions are cheap anyway, just get another if yours is bad. i have one i'll sell you!

i'm not sure when they switched from mechanical to electric speedometer sensors but i thought all EJ's were electrical sensors. but then again i've never worked on a 90-94 EJ, so maybe those are? either way, it sounds like your numbers aren't matching up. don't think it could be a 2001 without being an electrical sensor...unless it was previously swapped from mechanical to electrical?

i'm not sure when they switched from mechanical to electric speedometer sensors but i thought all EJ's were electrical sensors. but then again i've never worked on a 90-94 EJ, so maybe those are? either way, it sounds like your numbers aren't matching up. don't think it could be a 2001 without being an electrical sensor...unless it was previously swapped from mechanical to electrical?

90-94 are indeed cable driven sensors in the cluster.

thanks Gloyale. so this is an older transmission, not a 2001 like you mentioned. either the VIN is wrong or it's a typo, but seems like it's a 90-94 transmission.

good news - will be easy to swap with any 1998 or earlier EJ22 in the future! the 2001 would have been a little more complicated.

good news - will be easy to swap with any 1998 or earlier EJ22 in the future! the 2001 would have been a little more complicated.

Why????

Because of the bolt pattern?

4 of the 8 holes line up with the old 4 bolt engines and vice-versa

92 Loyale, The real question is, does htis trans use a cable or hydraulicly activated clutch. I think that is the thing that would limit the applications.

So, I came across a transmission that I was told came off a Loyale, such as mine. So, I'm a little confused though. It does not look the same as mine nor does it look as though it's 4WD. It looks like it is AWD. On it is stamped FM-7 and 4S3BH675616666039 I'm guessing it's a VIN. if that is the VIN from the car it came out of it should be from a 2001 Legacy Outback. How can I confirm this 100%. Is this transmission any good to me? Eventually I would like to put an EJ in it. The transmission is in good working order however, would there be any advantages to this transmission over my 5spd 4WD? Also, if I got an EJ, used this transmission, would it bolt in the car I have now? I'm sorry I have so many questions. I'm new to Subaru's and just want to learn as much as I can about them. I used to be an old Volvo nut but since than have sold my last Volvo and now have my 1992 Loyale.... THANK YOU

you are right i ran the vin and it came up as a 01 legacy outback. there also should be some sort of number on it starting with TY7, with that whole number you can figure out more about it. but from looking at my chart an 01 outback had a 3.9 final ratio so that would let you use your stock rear end. as for bolt in, prabably not, but don't let that stop you there are tons of guys that have done awd loyales.

thanks Gloyale. so this is an older transmission, not a 2001 like you mentioned. either the VIN is wrong or it's a typo, but seems like it's a 90-94 transmission.

just a fyi you can use a cable speedo on newer trannys. when they went to the electronic speed sensor the sensor just screwed into where the cable did before.

92 Loyale, The real question is, does htis trans use a cable or hydraulicly activated clutch. I think that is the thing that would limit the applications.

this isn't a issue with NA trannys (not sure on turbo ones) you can put a cable clutch fork on the newer trannys.

on both of these things i had a 03 RS tranny in my 90 legacy, both the speedo cable screwed right in and the cable style fork went right in also.

on both of these things i had a 03 RS tranny in my 90 legacy, both the speedo cable screwed right in and the cable style fork went right in also.

Cool, good to know. I haven't done much mix-n-match with manual trannys yet.

Cool, good to know. I haven't done much mix-n-match with manual trannys yet.

yeah it was one of those things, i had everything sitting there and it just all went together easy as pie.

i would still like to know if i could do that to a turbo tranny, but i have never just had one sitting around.

Unfortunatly the paper type sticker is messed up and not readable. Now, there is another stamping on it "FM-7" Not sure if that's of any importance. Yeah, you can see the speedo part rotate as you move the input shaft. I'm not sure what kind of clutch it used as it's not there. I was told that this tranny only has 20,000 miles on it. So, I would guess this tranny would bolt up to a newer EJ22? Not sure what years those were built. Also, would making it AWD worth it? Advantages, disadvantages???? I don't really plan on taking it off road however, I do use it for the snow, maybe some camping. If I need to go wheeling I have my suburban. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Ideas, thoughts, etc.

Unfortunatly the paper type sticker is messed up and not readable. Now, there is another stamping on it "FM-7" Not sure if that's of any importance. Yeah, you can see the speedo part rotate as you move the input shaft. I'm not sure what kind of clutch it used as it's not there. I was told that this tranny only has 20,000 miles on it. So, I would guess this tranny would bolt up to a newer EJ22? Not sure what years those were built. Also, would making it AWD worth it? Advantages, disadvantages???? I don't really plan on taking it off road however, I do use it for the snow, maybe some camping. If I need to go wheeling I have my suburban. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Ideas, thoughts, etc.

now the odd thing was i ran a car fax on the vin and it shows a registration renewal in june of 07. and it had 45k miles on it in may of 05. i don't know what to say about all that. it may have been wrecked after june of last year but not reported to insurance. it may have been pulled a while ago and replaced with some other tranny. which i doubt.

so i would say BS on the 20k miles.

also just so you know, old or new and regardless how many bolt holes ej trannys will bolt up to any ej motor. i have an old legacy tranny bolted up to a 99 2.5. the motor had 8 bolts the tranny had 4. they still lined up and i only have 4 bolts in it.

is it worth it, well that's up to you.

for me i would do it. i don't do any hard off roading and awd would work just fine for me. and i have really been thinking of doing this exact thing. i really like having a wagon around and tossing a ej22 and awd would make i think i great combo in the older cars.

But but on the other hand you would get better gas mileage if you could shift it into 2wd.

and on your choice of motors stick with the 90-94 ej22. they are all obd1 and much less of a wiring headache then the newer obd2 ones.

and what i was making comments about the clutch was how it was disengaged, older stuff and your loyale have clutch cable and the newer ones went to hydraulic clutch. you would just get a clutch for a early 90s legacy is all you would need. But you would need to source a couple clutch parts like the fork and maybe the pivot ball.