Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Windshield -- what do I buy and from whom?

1989 Gl Sedan --- the chrome trim around the windshield -- passenger side -- from the wiper area up the side of the passenger side windshield --

It's flapping in the wind. I push it in. It pops out. And it seems to be traveling further down the window. Today, I used super glue, held it for a long time, pushed it in all along the trim area, but no go. It's still loose. I used tape to hold it down, hoping the glue will set. Temp is cold here.

Anyway, I'm stupid re cars and part names. What exactly do I need to buy to replace this part (or repair) and anyone have suggestions on who to buy from? I'm 80 miles south of Spokane WA (have seen Spokane folks) and 30 miles north of Lewiston, Idaho.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I'd use something a little stronger than super glue. Try plastic emblem adhesive or JB Quick Weld in there and use the tape to hold it all tight for a few hours so it can set. The warmer the better. Should hold it down.

I've also had success using indoor/outdoor caulk with such things. But then, it's not always the cleanest or prettiest job.

Those strips are glued in place. Sounds like you just aren't using the proper adhesive. Super glue.... isn't - pretty worthless for most things - great for skin as that's what it was designed for.

Go to the auto parts store and find some epoxy of some sort. Something that stays flexible in low temps. RTV might do it, but probably not for long. If all else fails - get a tube of 3M Windsheild Urethane - that will do it for sure.

You don't need any of those strips anyway - they are just there for appearance. The windsheild is glued in place and won't leak regardless of those strips. If you really want to replace it get a new one at the dealership.

GD

Super glue was designed for skin? Really? :-\

Partially, yes. It was discovered by Kodak as part of a weapons research program durring WWII but it's use wasn't really understood at that time.

One of it's early uses however was for treating battlefield wounds durring vietnam. It wasn't approved by the FDA till much later and it's use didn't become widespread in the medical industry till the 90's. It is excelent at stopping bleeding, and is used often for "sutureless" surgery.

It bonds best when moisture is present which makes it ideal for skin.

GD

Mine was doing the same thing... I used left over glue that I used to install the window. RTV, silicone may be a good choice, fill the opening push trim back in.. taped down, let it harden.

I am thinking even, "Goop" found in (small towns) local hardware stores might be a good selection as it is much like RTV but might be user friendly. Curing time in the cold may be a day or so but on a sunny day point the car into the sun.

The trim is rather expensive to replace if your looking for new, so a junk yard raid might work if the other trim is a mess.