Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After a short search looking around for a nice place to get some opinions, I think I found it! My wife and I are looking to replace an SUV in the somewhat near future, and we are looking at Subaru to fill the void (while using a little less gas). Due to height & back constraints(need a really good supportive high backed seat), we are looking at a WRX or a Legacy GT. We are currently a family of 3, so car seats and grocery store trips are a must since this will be our main family hauler. Our impressions so far with a test drive are the WRX says DRIVE while the Legacy is a little more laid back but with a lot of toys & more room, however the back seat isn't quite as comfortable for my wife as the WRX. So these are our first impressions, what I would like to see is maybe some real world comments from people that already use these vehicles, you! Thanks in advance!

I'm presently on my 3rd Subie, an 07 OutBack Wagon, after previously having owned a 02 OBW and an 97 OBW. When this one gets traded on my next vehicle it will also be a Subie. Whether it will be another OBW or a Forester will depend on the body design, features available and the colours available at that time. While my wife's Lexus is the cat's meow for comfort, when the weather turns nasty, or we need to carry some cargo, the Subie can't be beat.

The seats seem good to me (at least the driver's seat anyways), I was just trying to point the direction we have to go in for the vehicle's and why. Supportive seats are a must. I am looking for all information but also just daily use as well with any complaints that the vehicle isn't big enough or needs more trunk, works great etc... especially coming from an SUV that also hauls the stroller, groceries, some light trips to the infamous DIY stores and all that. Price isn't much different between the Legacy GT and the WRX (with premium package), so it's basically down to what would serve our needs better? I don't want to buy one and think 4 months later I wish the backseat was more comfortable, or we had more trunk space...

I have 3 kids and I haul them around in the backseat of the wrx no problem. The trunk is pretty big too. If you are looking a new wrx, my feedback might not be so usefull, the 08 is redesigned and a lot different. A legacy GT is a nice car too. I especially like the Legacy GT spec B.

The 08 5 door is an extremely useful functional vehicle.. I drove it from CT to FL back in dec and..I drove the majority of the way there and all the way back ..usually for 14+ hours at a shot ..and had no issues with back problems etc..the redesign on the 5 door actually gives it more width in the rear cargo area..the rear seats also fold flat ..and if needed the passanger seat will lay flat to the rear for even more space. The rear seat leg room is unreal..it has to be the best of any Subaru I have owned ( 10 to date). And with the easily removble roof rack available..well..its uses are unlimited ..geesh..I sound like a car salesman:rolleyes:.. Plus I am getting 28 mpg average. 12K miles trouble free so far too.

For me ..the 08 Imp fits what I ask from a car perfectly..but it may not be right for everyone. I have interior pics of mine if you want to see what its like

I'm 6'3" and weigh 240+ lbs. The Outbacks we have are comfortable for me although a little more lateral space at the knees would be nice. The WRX and Impreza seats grab me too much on the sides.

How long do you plan on keeping the car and how many miles per year will you put on it?

Kids grow (mine did anyway) and also multiply and in a couple of years you might be looking at a B9 Tribeca for size if you go smaller now.

If you put tons of mileage then go with what you like best now. If not I'd shop for the future.

If you will need 2 cars you can always keep whatever you get now and go larger with an additional car.

I'm 6'3" & 200lbs, so the wrx seats currently fit me pretty good, the legacy isn't too bad either. The knee issue is why I've chosen the 2 types that I did. I've been in outbacks & forresters, not impressed.

I'd be planning on at least 4-6 years, long enough to pay it off and replace my daily driver, unless we love it and it's not costing us a payment to keep running. The subaru will be my wife's commuter while I drive it weekends and evenings. It will probably see 12k miles per year, that's what we're doing on the SUV, but it may get driven into the mountains more. We aren't planning on anymore kids, at least anytime soon, so we should at least get through the planned life of the car.

As I stated above we currently have 2 vehicles, so heavier DIY store trips won't be an issue, I have a mid-size truck and access to a 3/4 ton and trailer for those really expensive runs. I just want to make sure the WRX (since it's slightly smaller) is quite liveable day to day if we go that route. Our last 2 purchases have been somewhat rushed due to circumstances and we didn't quite get what we wanted, but it filled a purpose. This is really starting to sound like do we want to have a light fast and fun car, or a slightly larger still fairly fun with a lot of toys inside car; we do like the memory seat in the legacy, as their is about a foot difference in our heights, though the wrx seats are quickly adjusted.

img3416vq0.th.jpg

For anyone that doubts the carrying capacity of the new imps. Saw this picture somewhere on nasioc and had to save it. Thats a 52" TV.

I haven't been inside of a newer legacy before, but I test drove an '08 wrx just for the fun of it. I thought it was a comfortable ride for the type of car it is. I had plenty of room (6'3") up front and was comfortable in the rear, and it had more than enough gadgets to keep me happy. Someone with a newer Legacy needs to chime in and say what they like/dont like about it, but you really can't go wrong either way.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally went back and looked again at the Legacy & WRX, and unless there are some MAJOR redesigns on the Legacy for 09, it will be a WRX in our future.

I sat in the back seat of the Legacy and I had to tuck my head behind the roof line to sit straight, or bend about 60 degrees if I didn't want my head against the rear window. I am shocked that the rear seating is so TERRIBLE in the Legacy.

I am 5'8" and I am almost touching the ceiling with my Legacy 2.5GT when I drive it. I wanted a WRX but the insurance was too high. Plus, it was very difficult to get a WRX with an automatic transmission. My ex-boyfriend, who was 6'6", used to drive my Outback and he did alright if he pushed the seat back.

Personally, I'd go with the WRX, but honestly, either car is a good choice. I've got an older Impreza wagon and two kids, and the three of us do just fine after downsizing from a Legacy wagon.

Have you owned a Subaru before? They honestly will get you hooked once you start driving one...

I'm 6'2" and in my 02 wrx, I drive with seat 2 or 3 clicks forward from all the way back and have plenty of room. I can't even push the clutch all the way in with the seat all the way back.

I'm 6'3", 190lbs, and my Impreza fits me great. Honestly, I was hesitant to go to the Impreza because I thought that might be an issue, but not so. Now, I miss my leather seats that were in the Legacy, but the Impreza is a very good fit for me. Of course, I haven't actually tried sitting in the back seat yet...