Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found Wheel Bearing, Where Does It Go ?

Found a brand new wheel bearing in the back of a 97 OBW at local junk yard, sealed in plastic. Is it a rear wheel bearing?

It seems to have ball bearings inside? No plastic part in the middle like the new ones have. Can it still be used?

Info stamped on bearing:

Japan HN NTN AUO827

[...]Info stamped on bearing:

Japan HN NTN AUO827

It seems that the character between the "AU" and "827" is a "0" (zero), not an "O" (Oh).

http://www.nskf-bearings.com/Product_number/products_general_catalogue/bearings_a.htm

EDIT: An AU0827-4/L588 appears to cross to a Subaru part #28016FC001. That's a rear axle ball bearing, apparently one of those that don't live too long in Imprezas, Foresters, etc. It's usually replaced with an upgraded roller bearing kit for longer life.

Found a brand new wheel bearing in the back of a 97 OBW at local junk yard, sealed in plastic. Is it a rear wheel bearing?

It seems to have ball bearings inside? No plastic part in the middle like the new ones have. Can it still be used?

Info stamped on bearing:

Japan HN NTN AUO827

as long as you want a ball bearing, yes, it's usable.

I'm not as "opposed" to ball bearings. Just need to be well lubed at installation and well sealed. Probably wouldn't want to use them in "salt road land", though. :)

if you don't want to use it and want to find it a home, send me a PM (my 97 has balls) Hey! NO JOKES!!

When I got rid of my Renault alliance I left a new had gasket set in it - I sure didn't NEED it at that point. :grin: