Ultimate Subaru Message Board

relay for my cooling fan

i had some trouble with my thermoswitch last year, and wired my cooling fan to a switch on my dash. Its not a perfect setup because its 16 guage wire run from a tap behind my fuse box (on the fan wire), to a dash switch, to the fan. the fan is grounded at the thermostat housing. the poles on the switch get hot, like hot enough to mildly burn a finger on.

I want to use my existing wiring to power a relay. The fan is listed in the FSM as 120 watts (so 10 amps right?). The only relays i have right now are the round underdash ones (i think for headlights and such) listed at 20 amps.

Is there any reason i shouldnt use this relay? it should handle 10 amps no problem?

my existing 16 gauge wire should be fine for the low power side, what guage should i use for the high power side?

I used daerons write up to wire two 100w spots with a relay, so i've done this once before, i am just paranoid about those round relays for some reason.

thanks , and if you see any other problems with my set up, please let me know. ( i dont want to burn up my car!)