Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT block into my GL10T. maybe spyder intake...

Urabus-84HBDR

Well sadly the motor in my 88 GL10T sedan finally went on me. I havent pulled the motor yet, thats tonite. Think I blew a rod out the top of the block. post-11814-1360276279_thumb.jpg

Been watching this XT at the picknpull, snagged the front seats, rear discs, and the motor out of it. This 'car' is an 86 (mid year) XT turbo car. The intake I took off it was similiar to mine. Didnt take it.

My questions are-

The XT was anautomatic to remove the torque converter, the trans was gone. The XT was turbo, as is mine. So is there anything else to look for when I throw this block together? My car is a manual, should be no problem.?

Im using my intake off the orig motor, likely going to switch to serpentine belt pulleys, need the crank, ps pump, alt, and water pump, thats it right?

Is the EA82T externally balanced or internally- the crank pulleys are different to a turbo and n/a. ?

Thanks for reading any and all suggestions/comments are appreciated.

oh ya Ill take pics tonite of the bad motor...

Roger

if the engine wasn't originally a spyder motor, then no need to use the intake off of it, just use the stock intake off of your car since it has all the electrical in the correct spots. The motor physically the same through the years, automatic or manual. I used 3 different motors in my old '89 RX, ranging from an '85 to a '92 SPFI motor.

Engines are internally balanced so flywheels and crank pulleys aren't an issue. I was running a carb'd crank pulley on my EA82T to help get rid of some of the rotational mass.

ok. well another question and hopefully an answer.

-The difference between our motor (GL10T/EA82T) and the (XT/EA82T) the XT motor is the exact same... or are the cams different? thats what i thought made the only difference.

-Also, the motor out of the XT didnt originally have a spyder intake on it, thus the electrical is same than that of a regular intake? the only difference in the electrical would be the one that had/has a spyder intake on it...

Caboobaroo

-Could you clear the first line up of the post you made?

-The intake that is/was on my car is bad, the rod punched a hole in it too.... sad day.

What would you benefit by running the carbd crank pulley rather than ours that has the rubber membrane in it.?

Did you change the pistons out on the SPFI block then? The heads would also need swapped right? I have everything but an intake and seals right now... but looking to make the intake swap happen. Sorry for such a long post.

Roger

if the engine wasn't originally a spyder motor, then no need to use the intake off of it, just use the stock intake off of your car since it has all the electrical in the correct spots. The motor physically the same through the years, automatic or manual. I used 3 different motors in my old '89 RX, ranging from an '85 to a '92 SPFI motor.

Engines are internally balanced so flywheels and crank pulleys aren't an issue. I was running a carb'd crank pulley on my EA82T to help get rid of some of the rotational mass.

I did the exact same swap last summer. Earlyish XT-T engine into '88 GL-10-T. Only problems I had was swapping over the GL TPS sensor and some vacuum stuff. That was because I kept the XT manifold. Everything else was a direct swap. Go for it and have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

in conclusion my car already had the XT motor in the car. previous owner did the swap before had the car. glad I grabbed an XT motor, used an 85 RX sedan intake thats in the pullnsave. good car out there. it runs way better, no lifter tick at all!!!!!!:banana: pulls smoothly thru all gears, and is likely the best soob motor ive heard, and not cause its mine... pics soon.

I did the exact same swap last summer. Earlyish XT-T engine into '88 GL-10-T. Only problems I had was swapping over the GL TPS sensor and some vacuum stuff. That was because I kept the XT manifold. Everything else was a direct swap. Go for it and have fun!

the car ran ok, had some issues- the problem wasnt the intake, well partially. the motor pretty much self destructed... threw a rod out the top of the block... (think ive said this). there were problems on the previous motor in it- power steering pump bracket loose and the mount was all messed up, the p/s lines wore a hole where they rubbed each other for so long, (fixed).

How did the car run before you swapped manifolds?