Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello people,

I've got a problem.... my legacy didn't have A/C or Cruise, so I got a 94 legacy, and swapped all the A/C and Cruise parts, everything matched up and bolted in but the only thing that didn't is my wiring harness on my 90 legacy has 3 wires that go to the compressor and the compressor off the 94 only had one yellow with green tracer, so I cut off the other two wires and connected that one yellow/green wire and it dosn't work and I have been chasing wires all morning and trying to figure this all out and it dosn't work, right now the A/C is more important then the cruise but neither of them are working... :S any suggestions?...

I should also mention that when I turn the key on there are about a million relays that click on and off and the cooling fan also comes on and off and on and off even the fuel pump is clicking on and off everything seems to be clicking on and off but when I start it the clicking stops :S

The connectors are a single wire that should be only tied together when working on the car and looking for trouble. They are usually under the dash near the ECU or under the hood on the firewall. My data shows that one wire is orange and the other is blk/red.

ok I found a wire under the dash, that is Black with a yellow tracer, fairly large wire (compared to all the other wires under there) has a blue connecter kinda looks like a "T" but dosn't seem to make any diff if that is connected or not, didn't see anything under the hood on the firewall.. but would that be causing the A/C compressor not to come on?

What you desperately need is a wiring diagram. I don't have one to help you. However, having had a 91, (but no longer) I learned that the Leggie series from 90 thru 92 were pretty much the same. I don't have to tell you that converting back from a 94 is the source of your wiring headache.

You may want to make a trip to a wrecking yard, find a 90-92 that came with factory air to see what factory wiring was used.

For what it is worth, you may want to pull the cover off the fuse box. Find the circuit for A/C. It should be marked on the cover itself, as well as be identified in the owner's manual. If you are lucky, it is on a separate fuse circuit. If so, or if not, identifying the fuse circuit wiring is a good way to trace A/C wiring back to the correct connector. I hope this thought helps.

got a wiring diagram in the Haynes manual but it not matching up very well... it seems to match up with the 95+ rather then the 90's so still scratching my head on that one the A/C stuff goes everywhere! would almost be simpler to just rewire the whole car! *sighs I dunno :S

got a wiring diagram in the Haynes manual but it not matching up very well... it seems to match up with the 95+ rather then the 90's so still scratching my head on that one the A/C stuff goes everywhere! would almost be simpler to just rewire the whole car! *sighs I dunno :S

Yea, that is my experience with Haynes manuals. They are rather generic in information usually covering a couple of different models over several years.

Now that you mention it, I checked my book case for car manuals. I surprised myself to see tha I have the Haynes Subaru Legacy manual. It covers years 1990 thru 1998, but like you say, it show 95+ wiring. Prolly not much help.

I also have a Chilton's Subaru repair manual 1985-92, but is really generic with no wiring diagrams.

You might consider driving to a Subaru dealer, speak with the service manager about your wiring problem. Offer him $20 for his time to look up what you need. The dealer must have some great reference material, prolly in the computer. Ask him for a wiring diagram print out for what you need. It might be a great $20 purchase.

Another thought, I think there are some Subie dealer techies that prowl this board. Maybe one of them would be nice enough to email you the info as a down load. Worth a try to ask that question.

My info shows there are 6 fuses involved with the AC system. Two of them are in the A/C relay fuse holder. These may be in the panel for the fuses under the hood. Look on top of the evaporator also. Fuses #20,21,15, and 13 are in the circuit also. Make sure power is present on all those fuses using a test light or meter.