Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you were looking to purchase a 2000-2005 Outback, what would you look for/avoid?

I’m hot on the trail to purchase a used Subaru Outback in very good condition, which has had a solid maintenance record. I’ve been gathering information on Edmunds and CarTalk forums and then was referred to this excellent community by a poster on CarTalk. I’ve got a little extra work to do as I’m searching for a car in Silicon Valley a few weeks before relocating for the summer from New York – I’d like to have any necessary maintenance done before arriving in a few weeks. This means I have to evaluate the car by having it inspected by 1-2 reliable garages, and maybe even hiring a local Subaru enthusiast with good experience to take a quick look after inspection.

I'm especially interested in feedback on the earlier model years 2000-2003, where I'm hoping to find a good value on a very well maintained older car with less miles on it - as long as I can avoid any known issues with earlier model years. If spending a little more for a newer model year will help avoid a known design flaw, I'm open to it.

keep your eye out for torque bind and head gaskets (on 2.5 4 cylinder engines only). you can read all you want about them here, search function comes in handy. the 00-05 models only leak externally and are much easier to spot than the earlier models. and also...if they do leak generally they just consume coolant and only overheat if they get low, so keep it full and you won't get stranded with an overheating engine (like the older models which overheat even when full of coolant).

torque bind is generally 'caused' but there is no way to preventively avoid head gasket issues. if you're getting a well maintained one owner vehicle it's unlikely you'll have torque bind. with proper tire maintenance (pressure, tread, and rotation) that's normally not an issue. that's about it other than the general automotive checks for a used car.

Hi grossgary,

Thank you very much, I'll most certainly use the search function, but I'm trying to narrow down the best choices in the area I'll be in within the next 2 days, and send the best 1-2 cars I find for condition/value/fit for us to inspection, so pounding the forums and gathering as much info as possible quickly. Need to have the car ready by the time my wife and I arrive in a few weeks.

What is torque bind in short? I would imagine it's caused by uneven tires for AWD cars. I just had a 2000 Subaru inspected that had unmatched treads and tires front and back that were way out of tolerance and think some of its problems were caused by this.

For head gasket leaks on 2000-2005 models with 2.5 4 cylinder (I prefer the 4 cylinder for fuel economy, unless many advise against it), when you spot the leak, are they easy to repair? Is it just a matter of replacing the head gasket? Is it an expensive repair? If the inspection garage finds a head gasket leak on a 2000-2005,would you stay away from it?

On another forum, someone recommended a Subaru coolant conditioner along with coolant - have you ever heard of such an additive?

yes Subaru itself installs the conditioner on 2000-2002 EJ25 engines.

the 00+ EJ25 headgaskets are easier to see than others. look at the rear head to block mating surface by popping the hood. they leak along the back side - facing the driver so to speak, along that seam.

head gaskets are a $1,500 repair. add on any additional items to be done while you're in there...rear separator, timing belt, water pump, etc since all of that has to come off to repair.

i would look at the H6 gas mileage figures, i'm not sure it's all that far off of the EJ25.